Solaris, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RAM and UDF

Solaris, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RAM and UDF

Post by David Cluni » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hi

Does anyone have any idea when/if Sun will support DVD device
drivers in Solaris ?

Does anyone know when the UDF file system will be supported ?

Not just UDF read, but random write to DVD-RAM and variable length
packet and border zone multi-session write to DVD-R.

We had heard rumors that some support would be in Solaris 8, but it
seems difficult to find confirmation of this on Sun's web
sites.

Failing this, does anyone have any experience with 3rd party drivers
like those from Tracer ?

david
--

Director, Medical Imaging Technologies   http://idt.net/~dclunie/
Quintiles Intelligent Imaging             http://www.i2image.com/

Post by David Dillar » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>Hi

>Does anyone have any idea when/if Sun will support DVD device
>drivers in Solaris ?

>Does anyone know when the UDF file system will be supported ?

>Not just UDF read, but random write to DVD-RAM and variable length
>packet and border zone multi-session write to DVD-R.

I'd be willing to be that Sun won't support R/W UDF anytime soon.  There
probably isn't enough demand.

Quote:>We had heard rumors that some support would be in Solaris 8, but it
>seems difficult to find confirmation of this on Sun's web
>sites.

>Failing this, does anyone have any experience with 3rd party drivers
>like those from Tracer ?

You might try a company called Luminex (not an endor*t, just a
suggestion).

--- David

Solaris, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RAM and UDF

Post by Steve Dy » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Does anyone know when the UDF file system will be supported ?

>Not just UDF read, but random write to DVD-RAM and variable length
>packet and border zone multi-session write to DVD-R.

>We had heard rumors that some support would be in Solaris 8, but it
>seems difficult to find confirmation of this on Sun's web
>sites.

On Sol 8 Beta:

$ apropos udf
fsck_udfs       fsck_udfs (1m)  - file system consistency check and interactive repair
fsdb_udfs       fsdb_udfs (1m)  - udfs file system de*
labelit_udfs    labelit_udfs (1m)   -  provide and print labels for udf file systems
mkfs_udfs       mkfs_udfs (1m)  -  construct a udfs file system
mount_udfs      mount_udfs (1m) -  mount a udfs file system

--
Steve Dyer

Solaris, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RAM and UDF

Post by David Dillar » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>I'd be willing to be that Sun won't support R/W UDF anytime soon.  There
>probably isn't enough demand.

Given what the another post presented I'm obviously wrong.  I am surprised
though.  Hard to imagine that UDF would be big enough to garner that kind of
attention (and I used to work for a company that was, and still is, very big
on UDF).

--- David

Post by Paul Egge » Tue, 26 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>Does anyone have any idea when/if Sun will support DVD device
>drivers in Solaris ?

On October 21 Sun released patches 107458-05 and 107834-02 for Solaris
7 sparc, which add some hooks for DVD support.  E.g. there's a new
DKIOCGMEDIAINFO ioctl that returns the current media type or profile
information about the command set that the current drive can operate on
the current media.  Look for the new symbols DK_DVDROM, DK_DVDR, and
DK_DVDRAM in the patched /usr/include/sys/dkio.h.

I haven't played with it though, so I don't know what's actually implemented.

Solaris, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RAM and UDF

Post by prostora » Sat, 30 Oct 1999 04:00:00

says...

>>I'd be willing to be that Sun won't support R/W UDF anytime soon.  There
>>probably isn't enough demand.

>Given what the another post presented I'm obviously wrong.  I am surprised
>though.  Hard to imagine that UDF would be big enough to garner that kind of
>attention (and I used to work for a company that was, and still is, very big
>on UDF).

my guess is that the Pioneer DVD-R drives would work on SUN but
so far we 've only found recording software for windows

since DVD-R is the ONLY current, standard, writable dvd i'm
sure they could be read by any SUN with a dvd reader drive
(currently, pioneer & toshiba are the only ones i know delivering
scsi DVD readers)

  _____                         .     .
 '    \\                  .                .                       |>>
     O//             .                        .                    |
    \_\          .                              .                  |
    | |      .   800-324-6711 / 800-720-7618 fax  .      .         |

  /  .|   http://www.veryComputer.com/;    .     |
 / .  | http://kalypso.*com.net/scsiper/andys.html        .. . o
Authorized - DIRECT VAR/VAD/Distributor for new SCSI/FC-AL peripherals
from: IBM, Seagate, Quantum, Adaptec, Sony, Yamaha, ATTO, JNI, ATL ect

Post by Joerg Schilli » Sat, 30 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>says...

>>>I'd be willing to be that Sun won't support R/W UDF anytime soon.  There
>>>probably isn't enough demand.

>>Given what the another post presented I'm obviously wrong.  I am surprised
>>though.  Hard to imagine that UDF would be big enough to garner that kind of
>>attention (and I used to work for a company that was, and still is, very big
>>on UDF).

>my guess is that the Pioneer DVD-R drives would work on SUN but
>so far we 've only found recording software for windows

>since DVD-R is the ONLY current, standard, writable dvd i'm
>sure they could be read by any SUN with a dvd reader drive
>(currently, pioneer & toshiba are the only ones i know delivering
>scsi DVD readers)

Cdrecord-ProDVD is the first only program that writes DVD-R on UNIX systems.

Cdrecord-ProDVD started with support for the DVR-S101 in april 1998
and now supports the DVR-S201 too.

Cdrecord-ProDVD is not available for free as the drives are still
around 10000 DM.

--

Solaris, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RAM and UDF

Post by jwel.. » Thu, 04 Nov 1999 04:00:00

There is third party software.  Look at Smart Storage's SmartArchive
product.  www.smartstorage.com

Regards
John Wellar

1. DVD SCSI burner, I want DVD+RW, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM

I've googled until I'm blue (would that be bluegled?) and I can't
find a DVD burner that has all of what I want.  These seem to be
what people like for Linux:

Ricoh MP5125A DVD+RW/+R, DVD-R, CD-R/-RW (OBSOLETE)
http://www.computervideogear.com/dvd-burners/ricoh-mp5125a.htm

NEC ND1100A DVD+RW/+R, DVD-R, CD-R/-RW (replaces above Ricoh)
http://www.computervideogear.com/dvd-burners/nec-nd-1100a.htm

HP DVD300i (DVD+RW/+R, CD-R/-RW)
http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpdirect/shopping/scripts/product_...
(watch the line wrap)

Pioneer DVR-A05 CD-R/RW, CD-RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD-ROM
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?...

All of the above units are EIDE.  Is there a SCSI DVD burner that
works with Linux?  My reason for wanting this is the wonderful
burning throughput I get with my SCSI CD burner.  I *NEVER* have
buffer underruns no matter how much else my system is doing.
I can even backup to my SCSI tape at the same time without
problems.  I'm nervous that an IDE burner will force me into
buffer underrun land.

Thanks....

2. SCO Technical Articles released on 20000729

3. Panasonic SW-9571 DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM on Sun?

4. PDF Viewer

5. Does FreeBSD support DVD-ROM, and/or DVD-RAM?

6. get LI when upgraded to RH 5.1

7. Howto burn DVD-RAM and DVD-R

8. Slow download speed with RedHat 5.0?

9. DVD-RAM or DVD-R on Linux?

10. hitachi dvd camcorder and panasonic mini dvd-ram disk

11. LG 8160b dvd-rom will not read dvd

12. DVD-RAM: I can't write an UDF FS

13. DVD-RAM: udf v. ext2