UTMP

Post by Glodale » Sat, 20 Jan 2001 23:26:01

Hi !

Accidently the UTMP was zeroed with cp /dev/null utmp command (usually
we clean up wtmp file this way). After that, several scripts had stopped
to work, cause they are pulling run level with who -r command. Is it any
way to rebuild utmp file to have boot information inside (who,uptime
etc..). I solved my problem by ftp-ing utmp from another server with the
same OS, but still need to know, what can I do in such case, if there is
only one server.

UTMP

Post by mandrak » Sun, 21 Jan 2001 01:15:04

Backups!!!

mandrake

Quote:> Hi !

> Accidently the UTMP was zeroed with cp /dev/null utmp command (usually
> we clean up wtmp file this way). After that, several scripts had stopped
> to work, cause they are pulling run level with who -r command. Is it any
> way to rebuild utmp file to have boot information inside (who,uptime
> etc..). I solved my problem by ftp-ing utmp from another server with the
> same OS, but still need to know, what can I do in such case, if there is
> only one server.

1. utmp: finding binaries that corrupt utmp

Hi!

I have a mixed libc5  - libc6(glibc2) system. Now I know that the
utmp formats differ, but how do I find all the binaries which access
utmp because once in a while my utmp gets corrupted. There is still
an libc5 based programm lurking around...
Sure, init, login, getty, etc. but isn't there a generic way to find all?
'strings * | grep utmp' did not work.
Anything else I can try?

Thanks, Walter

--

Student of Electrical Engineering, University of Technology, Vienna, Austria
Address: Brunnerstr.6, A-3108 St.P?lten, Austria. Tel.: +43-2742-257191

2. RH5.0 and internal SCSI Zip drive

3. location of utmp wtmp in utmp.h

4. Logging root account

5. more on 3.0's utmp (?)

6. eth0 ISR problems, odd messages and dead driver on Boomerang

7. utmp and wtmp corruption...

8. Help with print server

9. utmp file: cant find _setutent when starting xterm

10. How to remove utmp/wtmp entries?

11. "INIT: Cannot create /var/adm/utmp" error on bootup

12. utmp and wtpm

13. struct utmp