PPP to ISP from IPX maximum speeds

Post by Mark Hay » Thu, 18 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

I have a Sun IPX with 2.5 and a 28.8 modem.  I can happily
run at 19.2 but when I run anyspeed higher the I get burst
hang burst hang behaviour - this sort of implies a flow
control/overflow problem but everything appears to running
happily ...

is anybody out there running an IPX or older box at the higher
speeds ?

Mark

Post by Celeste Stokel » Thu, 18 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> I have a Sun IPX with 2.5 and a 28.8 modem.  I can happily
> run at 19.2 but when I run anyspeed higher the I get burst
> hang burst hang behaviour - this sort of implies a flow
> control/overflow problem but everything appears to running
> happily ...

> is anybody out there running an IPX or older box at the higher
> speeds ?

I can run at 38400bps with a Weitek cpu on an IPX, but only 19200bps
on the same machine with the "standard" cpu. ("run" = full-bore, flat-out
run, no burst mode due to flow control throttling on cpu serial ports.)

Your options to run without the bursty behavior are to live with 19200bps,
use a faster cpu/machine, or use a DMA-type serial port card or device.

..Celeste Stokely, Unix System Administration Consultant, Stokely Consulting

USMAIL: Stokely Consulting/211 Thompson Square/Mountain View CA 94043
  Celeste's Tutorials on Solaris 2.x/SunOS 4.1.3+ Modems & Terminals
     are available via the Web at http://www.stokely.com/stokely
        or via ftp at ftp.batnet.com:/pub/wombats/stokely/ftp
Check out the Web pages for lots of Unix Serial Port & Sysadm Resources!

Post by Frank Kaef » Sun, 21 Jul 1996 04:00:00

|> I have a Sun IPX with 2.5 and a 28.8 modem.  I can happily
|> run at 19.2 but when I run anyspeed higher the I get burst
|> hang burst hang behaviour - this sort of implies a flow
|> control/overflow problem but everything appears to running
|> happily ...
|>
|I can run at 38400bps with a Weitek cpu on an IPX, but only 19200bps
|on the same machine with the "standard" cpu. ("run" = full-bore, flat-out
|run, no burst mode due to flow control throttling on cpu serial ports.)
|Your options to run without the bursty behavior are to live with 19200bps,
|use a faster cpu/machine, or use a DMA-type serial port card or device.

This is strange. I have a vanilla IPX with no CPU upgrade or anything else
and I get very god performance with the serial ports on the main board.
I use 38400 and get about 2.9 k/s with PPP (OS: Solaris 2.5.1, was the
same on 2.4 and 2.5) on a 28.8k connection.

Best Regards,
Frank
--
                 <<< Frank K. Kaefer * Starnberg / Germany >>>