Can't get X-Windows connetion to Solaris via Exceed (Hummingbird) - help!

Can't get X-Windows connetion to Solaris via Exceed (Hummingbird) - help!

Post by Blake Patters » Fri, 26 Apr 2002 06:14:15

We've got two Solaris 8.1.7 boxes w/ OpenWin on them and we can't get
a proper connection to them via our Windows macihnes running
Hummingbird Exceed.  To clarify---a connection does occur, and X
starts--we get a single telnet window complete w/ X mouse pointer,
etc.  Nothing else on screen.  No OpenWindows window manager
elements---just this completely sparse desktop.

How do we start the OpenWindows environment?

Tried these connect strings with similar results:

xterm &

...and...

/usr/openwin/bin/xterm -ls -display $MYIP:$DNUM

How can we get this working?  Thanks.

bp

Can't get X-Windows connetion to Solaris via Exceed (Hummingbird) - help!

Post by Chris » Fri, 26 Apr 2002 06:43:34

I use XDMCP - Broadcast or Query to connect to my Sun box. This way I get
the complete solaris desktop, since I'm not doing anything major I dont
worry about the overhead from exporting the whole desktop vs. just the apps
I want to use. I just find it easier to work with but I'm sure there are
better ways to do it. You can configure it in Xconfig->Communication.

ChrisV

Quote:> We've got two Solaris 8.1.7 boxes w/ OpenWin on them and we can't get
> a proper connection to them via our Windows macihnes running
> Hummingbird Exceed.  To clarify---a connection does occur, and X
> starts--we get a single telnet window complete w/ X mouse pointer,
> etc.  Nothing else on screen.  No OpenWindows window manager
> elements---just this completely sparse desktop.

> How do we start the OpenWindows environment?

> Tried these connect strings with similar results:

> xterm &

> ...and...

> /usr/openwin/bin/xterm -ls -display $MYIP:$DNUM

> How can we get this working?  Thanks.

> bp

Can't get X-Windows connetion to Solaris via Exceed (Hummingbird) - help!

Post by Quek Hong Chea » Fri, 26 Apr 2002 14:28:21

If you would like to work with the whole environment, I would suggest
that you use VNC (Virtual network computing). It is very simple to set
up and it is free and reliable. you can get it at :

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

Post by Alan Coopersmi » Fri, 26 Apr 2002 14:50:37

|We've got two Solaris 8.1.7 boxes w/ OpenWin on them and we can't get

What in the world is Solaris 8.1.7?  The latest release of Solaris is
Solaris 8 - no dots, only one digit.

|a proper connection to them via our Windows macihnes running
|Hummingbird Exceed.  To clarify---a connection does occur, and X
|starts--we get a single telnet window complete w/ X mouse pointer,
|etc.  Nothing else on screen.  No OpenWindows window manager
|elements---just this completely sparse desktop.
|How do we start the OpenWindows environment?
|Tried these connect strings with similar results:
|xterm &
|/usr/openwin/bin/xterm -ls -display $MYIP:$DNUM

And those open a terminal window?  That is all xterm is supposed to do.

If you want a full desktop environment, the easiest way is to use XDMCP
active mode in Exceed to set up the connection.

1. Hummingbird eXceed X Windows: HELP !!!

I am trying to configure my Solaris 2.4 x86 to work with a PC running
Hummingbird's eXceed4 X Windows Server software.  I can Telnet to the Solaris.
But whenever I try to open an xterm session with this command:

xterm -ls -display mypcname:0 &

Solaris replied with an error message: can't open display  mypcname "". A
display has been open.

Does anyone know how to configured Solaris x86 2.4 to support PC X Windows
server??

2. Source of ls

3. Problem Getting Exceed X-Windows Emulator to Run Through My Router

4. Plextor 32X SCSI CD

5. X Windows and Hummingbird Exceed

6. changing default.gif on console?

7. Solaris Desktop Extensions 1.0 and Hummingbird Exceed

8. XFree 1.3 does work with VLB ET4000/W32

9. Hummingbird Exceed, Solaris and ssh, how do you get them to work?

10. Accessing KDE on SPARC Solaris using Hummingbird Exceed

11. hummingbird exceed and solaris

12. PLS HELP nohup & setpgrp fail - starting xterm for HUMMINGBIRD EXCEED

13. Help with Hummingbird Exceed