su to a user then su to root in startup script

su to a user then su to root in startup script

Post by bgr.. » Fri, 19 May 2000 04:00:00

My problem is I need to start an Apache server as
root, but with the Oracle Profile.  I've gone as
far as putting all the Oracle variables in the
root profile and it still wont work correctly.
I can start the server correctly if I login as
Oracle and SU to root.
But in the startup script if I SU to Oracle and
then SU to root, it prompts for roots password
and just sits there, never finishing.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Andy » Fri, 19 May 2000 04:00:00

> My problem is I need to start an Apache server as
> root, but with the Oracle Profile.

Well, the apache startup script should source the Oracle profile
via a '. $ORACLE_HOME/.profile'. If Oracle is using (puke) csh, you'll
need to 'source $ORACLE_HOME/.cshrc'.

--
-Andy M
http://synecdoche.net/~andy

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Could su but says BAD SU from normal user to root

I have edited the file /etc/group on my freshly installed openBSD 2.4
to include the normal user erekose in the wheel group as follows
"wheel:*:0:root,erekose" so that I could issue the "su -l" command to
log to root coz I think it is not wise  to log as root remotely but
then
after supplying even the correct passwd to log to root I got this msg
"BAD SU from erekose to root". Why ???

I am a newbie to openBSD and call for the expert help here :)

Thanks in advance.

2. Sony Monitor Setup

3. differences between su root and su - root

4. centering windows on the screen by default

5. su root: You do not have permission to su root ?

6. Untabify?

7. Solution: differences between su root and su - root

8. Moving from Motif to...

9. su problem -- su: Unknown id: root

10. GNU su (was Re: Preventing SU Root)

11. su in rc scripts or startup scripts problem

12. Cannot su, or su - to anything ~ including root

13. users have su priv's but su fails