Solaris Zones

Solaris Zones

Post by J Huntey Palme » Tue, 09 May 2006 23:05:44



What is the general consensus on Solaris Zones? I am interested in
trying it.

-Is it something that is in wide use today?

-Is it safe and stable to use in production without disastrous results?

-Is it something virtually useless that the marking dept. put on the
glossies because they needed to justify their jobs and to promote Solaris?

-Is it useful or a half-baked version of IBM's hardware virtualization
services? Sun has always erroneously called its largest servers a
Mainframe - not realizing vast differences between a s/390 and an E10K.
E10K is not a Mainframe in any stretch of Dan Brown's imagination. LOL

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

 
 
 

Solaris Zones

Post by stuart_abrams_humphr.. » Tue, 09 May 2006 23:13:56


Blimey!

How long is a piece of string!

(i) I know of several large companies that are using it - mostly in
development environments at the moment - I guess people are just
getting used to it
(ii) Not seen any issues so far - however I would test it in your dev
environments first!
(iii) not at all useless  - as we get smaller faster boxes we can
consolidate many older environments onto these - so a definite win

I'm sure there are many opinions on this but at the end of the day
solaris 10 is free - download it and test how your apps run - I'm sure
you'll be pleased!
Cheers
Stuart

 
 
 

Solaris Zones

Post by Rich Tee » Wed, 10 May 2006 01:24:03



> What is the general consensus on Solaris Zones? I am interested in trying it.

So what are you waiting for!  Go for it!  :-)

Quote:> -Is it something that is in wide use today?

Fairly wide, modulo the fact that they're only availabe with S10 onwards.

Quote:> -Is it safe and stable to use in production without disastrous results?

Yes.

Quote:> -Is it something virtually useless that the marking dept. put on the glossies
> because they needed to justify their jobs and to promote Solaris?

No.  For that they rename products every few years.  :-)

--
Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA, OpenSolaris CAB member

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638
URL: http://www.rite-group.com/rich

 
 
 

Solaris Zones

Post by J Huntey Palme » Wed, 10 May 2006 01:55:48




>> What is the general consensus on Solaris Zones? I am interested in trying it.

> So what are you waiting for!  Go for it!  :-)

>> -Is it something that is in wide use today?

> Fairly wide, modulo the fact that they're only availabe with S10 onwards.

>> -Is it safe and stable to use in production without disastrous results?

> Yes.

>> -Is it something virtually useless that the marking dept. put on the glossies
>> because they needed to justify their jobs and to promote Solaris?

> No.  For that they rename products every few years.  :-)

Thanks Rich and Stuart for the follow-ups. Anyone have any Quick and
Dirty links to setting up Zones for the impatient?
 
 
 

Solaris Zones

Post by Bruce Porte » Wed, 10 May 2006 02:34:38





>>> What is the general consensus on Solaris Zones? I am interested in trying it.

>> So what are you waiting for!  Go for it!  :-)

>>> -Is it something that is in wide use today?

>> Fairly wide, modulo the fact that they're only availabe with S10 onwards.

>>> -Is it safe and stable to use in production without disastrous results?

>> Yes.

>>> -Is it something virtually useless that the marking dept. put on the glossies
>>> because they needed to justify their jobs and to promote Solaris?

>> No.  For that they rename products every few years.  :-)

> Thanks Rich and Stuart for the follow-ups. Anyone have any Quick and
> Dirty links to setting up Zones for the impatient?

http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/zones/
http://docs.sun.com
http://www.bigadmin.com

man zones

HTH

--
        Bruce

"The internet is a huge and diverse community and  
not every one is friendly"                            
        http://www.ytc1.co.uk                    

 
 
 

Solaris Zones

Post by Wes William » Wed, 10 May 2006 03:01:51



> Thanks Rich and Stuart for the follow-ups. Anyone have any Quick and
> Dirty links to setting up Zones for the impatient?

Here's my favorite "zones for dummies"...or the seriously impatient:

http://www.steve-parker.org/articles/zones/

Of course, you could write a script to make your zones as well...

 
 
 

Solaris Zones

Post by hennes » Wed, 10 May 2006 05:14:19




Quote:>man zones

        I've been wondering though, what's the Sun equivalent of
OpenMOSIX?  That is, running multiple systems with a single system image
and having it automatically manage/migrate processes among nodes, so you
can "just" slap in new systems and add them to the cpu pool?

        Ideally you'd be able to do both, so you could run an MxN grid of
virtual servers (IIRC OpenMOSIX supports the migration of whole VMs but
not processes within a VM).

--
"When in doubt, use brute force."
- Ken Thompson

 
 
 

Solaris Zones

Post by Dan Foste » Wed, 10 May 2006 07:13:20





>>man zones

>    I've been wondering though, what's the Sun equivalent of
> OpenMOSIX?  That is, running multiple systems with a single system image
> and having it automatically manage/migrate processes among nodes, so you
> can "just" slap in new systems and add them to the cpu pool?

Nearest you could get to that ideal today would be hardware-based
domains like on the SunFire models with 4 or 5 digits (e.g. SF6900).

(You can add/drop CPUs, enforce hardware isolation or combine, etc.)

There's cluster software which can do the job with multiple systems and
scalable resource groups, and cluster-aware applications. Fair bit of
work setting up these, though. :)

-Dan

 
 
 

Solaris Zones

Post by Atro Tossavaine » Wed, 10 May 2006 16:21:14



> >       I've been wondering though, what's the Sun equivalent of
> > OpenMOSIX?  That is, running multiple systems with a single system image
> > and having it automatically manage/migrate processes among nodes, so you
> > can "just" slap in new systems and add them to the cpu pool?

> Nearest you could get to that ideal today would be hardware-based
> domains like on the SunFire models with 4 or 5 digits (e.g. SF6900).

That's kinda beside the point as the idea with OpenMosix and MOSIX
is to manage/migrate processes among totally stand-alone nodes of
any size (i.e. build a cluster out of the cheapest PCs you can imagine
and off you are).  You wouldn't need MOSIX if you had access to the
kind of hardware you're talking about.

Quote:> There's cluster software which can do the job with multiple systems and
> scalable resource groups, and cluster-aware applications. Fair bit of
> work setting up these, though. :)

Setting up MOSIX is not that painful at all.  Explain?

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,
+358-9-19158939  UNIX Dinosaur     / employs me, but my opinions are my own.
< URL : http : / / www . helsinki . fi / %7E atossava / > NO FILE ATTACHMENTS

 
 
 

Solaris Zones

Post by Dan Foste » Wed, 10 May 2006 21:52:16



Quote:

>> There's cluster software which can do the job with multiple systems and
>> scalable resource groups, and cluster-aware applications. Fair bit of
>> work setting up these, though. :)

> Setting up MOSIX is not that painful at all.  Explain?

Sun Cluster has a set of prerequisites -- specific supported hardware,
firmware levels, drivers, driver revision levels, need for some sort of
external shared storage, potentially a need to write custom agents for
proper cluster node start/stop behavior, and more.

I guess it isn't too hard to deploy second and subsequent nodes in a SC
setup once you've gotten through the learning curve and the initial
tests.

Even then, it's still not a direct equivalent to MOSIX which is more of
a compute grid-style cluster.

Ah, I'd forgotten about the Sun N1 Grid product which is reasonably
close to MOSIX's functionality. It's a free download now, and no longer
costs money ever since Sun released stuff at no charge in January.

http://www.sun.com/software/gridware/

-Dan

 
 
 

Solaris Zones

Post by hennes » Thu, 11 May 2006 01:22:10




Quote:

>Setting up MOSIX is not that painful at all.  Explain?

        He's probably talking 'bout Veritas and/or SunCluster...
--
"When in doubt, use brute force."
- Ken Thompson
 
 
 

Solaris Zones

Post by hennes » Thu, 11 May 2006 01:25:46




Quote:>http://www.sun.com/software/gridware/

        I was looking at this before, but don't you have to code to the

        (now of course if an OS kernel could be ported to the Grid
runtime.. ;)
--
"When in doubt, use brute force."
- Ken Thompson