Converting /etc/printcap -> /etc/lp/*

Post by Todd D. Ta » Thu, 19 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Do there exist any scripts that can create the appropriate files for
printing with solaris 2 (/etc/lp/*) given an /etc/printcap file.  I've
got fair number of printers, and I really don't want to be running lpadmin
or admintool for each one of them.  I figure I can't be the first one
to want to do this, and thought I'd ask how others have done before
re-inventing the wheel...
--

U.N.C. Department of Computer Science Facilities Staff

Post by Jim Dav » Fri, 20 Sep 1996 04:00:00

:Do there exist any scripts that can create the appropriate files for
:printing with solaris 2 (/etc/lp/*) given an /etc/printcap file.

If you use the SunSoft Print Client software instead of the /etc/lp
goo (which in general I'd highly recommend) then it comes with a
script that will convert an /etc/printcap file into a
/etc/printers.conf file, which is what the SSPC stuff needs.

You can download the SSPC software from
http://www.sun.com/smcc/solaris-migration/SSPC/index.html.  Note the
recent patch for SSPC, 103182, unfortunately is currently only
available with a support contract, and does not yet appear to be
incorporated into the downloadable tar archive.

1. Help: /etc/printcap for EPSON LP-9000 printer ( postscript printer)

Hi,
I tried to get my EPSON LP-9000 printer worked but failed. Although a lot of
efforts have been given to read through a lot of net printing-howto, I could
not solve the problem. I think I need a /etc/printcap entry for EPSON LP-9000
which is also a postscript printer, and maybe a filter script also needed. Has
anyone ever succeeded in printing or can give me some information on it by
sending email to me?
Thanks in advance.

2. Troubleshooting intermittent PPP dial-up failures using ISDN (USB connected) TA on SuSE 8.0

3. Converting Pegasus Mail folders etc. to Unix mbox etc

4. Q: hardware drivers at runtime

5. Convert NIS passwd back to standard /etc/passwd & /etc/shadow

6. Problems booting OSR5.0.2 on notebook w/ EIDE 2GB drive

7. CDE vs. /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow and /etc/group

8. How to Resize Desktop Under Red Hat 5.0?

9. ssh chrooted enviroment WITHOUT /bin /etc /lib - etc etc in the users dir ?

10. 3.5 MO, zip, etc, etc, etc.

11. ps/1, Lilo, etc etc etc problems w/ instalation

12. Looking for sample /etc/named.conf and etc/resolv.conf and /etc/hosts

13. LINUX, 3COM ImpactIQ, ISDN, etc, etc, etc...