Which UNIX plays well w/Oracle

Post by Michael O'Brie » Thu, 10 Jul 1997 04:00:00

We are planning on switching or database's over to Oracle from BBx and want
it to run under UNIX. The 64,000$ question is" Which flavor of UNIX to run
under?"
The current setup has BBx running on SCO UNIXand worked well. Should we
stay with SCO or try something else? I'm looking for success stories and or
horror stories.
As much fun as it is debugging new servers and setups, I would be nice to
have a config that is known to work.
 These systems will be running a sites not easily accessable and NO
technically oriented people onsite, so it needs to  reliable and be
remotely accessable. Users would need to access the system from WIN95
workstations (yeah, yeah) connected by a Novell network using IPX and/or
TCP.
Any experiences would be greatly appreciated.

--
Michael O'Brien - Systems Administrator
Systems Services Dept.- Yazaki North America

Post by Doug Barne » Thu, 10 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> We are planning on switching or database's over to Oracle from BBx and want
> it to run under UNIX. The 64,000$ question is" Which flavor of UNIX to run
> under?"
> The current setup has BBx running on SCO UNIXand worked well. Should we
> stay with SCO or try something else? I'm looking for success stories and or
> horror stories.
> As much fun as it is debugging new servers and setups, I would be nice to
> have a config that is known to work.
>  These systems will be running a sites not easily accessable and NO
> technically oriented people onsite, so it needs to  reliable and be
> remotely accessable. Users would need to access the system from WIN95
> workstations (yeah, yeah) connected by a Novell network using IPX and/or
> TCP.
> Any experiences would be greatly appreciated.

> --
> Michael O'Brien - Systems Administrator
> Systems Services Dept.- Yazaki North America
> Canton, MI

Oracle has been ported to virtually all Comercial UNIXes.  The question
is what other apps you might want to run since Oracle runs on most
anything.
--
Remove the NOSPAM to E-mail me.  Tired of the MLM schemes.

Post by Bob Gree » Thu, 10 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> We are planning on switching or database's over to Oracle from BBx and want
> it to run under UNIX. The 64,000$ question is" Which flavor of UNIX to run
> under?"
> The current setup has BBx running on SCO UNIXand worked well. Should we
> stay with SCO or try something else? I'm looking for success stories and or
> horror stories.
> As much fun as it is debugging new servers and setups, I would be nice to
> have a config that is known to work.
>  These systems will be running a sites not easily accessable and NO
> technically oriented people onsite, so it needs to  reliable and be
> remotely accessable. Users would need to access the system from WIN95
> workstations (yeah, yeah) connected by a Novell network using IPX and/or
> TCP.
> Any experiences would be greatly appreciated.

> --
> Michael O'Brien - Systems Administrator
> Systems Services Dept.- Yazaki North America
> Canton, MI

Oracle 7.2.3 is the highest rev that will ever be supported for ODT 3.0
If you wanted continued support in the Oracle world go to OperServer

--
Bob Green
Logicon R&D Associates

Post by Paul Murph » Fri, 11 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> We are planning on switching or database's over to Oracle from BBx and want
> it to run under UNIX. The 64,000$ question is" Which flavor of UNIX to run
> under?"
> The current setup has BBx running on SCO UNIXand worked well. Should we
> stay with SCO or try something else? I'm looking for success stories and or
> horror stories.
> As much fun as it is debugging new servers and setups, I would be nice to
> have a config that is known to work.
>  These systems will be running a sites not easily accessable and NO
> technically oriented people onsite, so it needs to  reliable and be
> remotely accessable. Users would need to access the system from WIN95
> workstations (yeah, yeah) connected by a Novell network using IPX and/or
> TCP.
> Any experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Oracle develop their system on a reference platform and then port it to
all the others, so in general if you run on the reference platform you
get the updates and bug fixes faster, and you find that the performance
is generally better because they've taken advantage of all of the
hardware-specific features to make it as fast as possible.

Oracle's reference platform is currently Solaris 2.5.1 on Sparc
architecture,
and it is on this platform that Oracle run their TPC benchmarks (albeit
on the top of the range systems with several Gb of RAM and up to 64
precessors...).

SCO Unix is not mentioned on the Oracle web page which discusses
platforms - if it does run on SCO, their commitment to it is
questionable.

Paul.

Paul J. Murphy - System and Network Manager
Gemini Research Ltd, 162 Science Park, Cambridge
Phone: 01223 435305     Fax: 01223 435301

Post by Nick Wag » Fri, 11 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> We are planning on switching or database's over to Oracle from BBx and
> want it to run under UNIX. The 64,000$ question is" Which flavor of
> UNIX to run under?"

A couple of years ago I was vaguely involved in the attempted
installation of ORACLE on IRIX. The supplied installation scripts
crashed several times and had to be debugged by our sysadm before it
would be install. He also tried to install it on one of the other
flavours of UNIX at that site (probably HPUX) and the scripts also
failed a couple of times.  At that time I seriously questioned ORACLE's
commitment to UNIX at all.

Let's hope that things have improved since then.
--

Senior Software Engineer                  Science Park, Milton Rd,
Tel: +44(0)1223 420414 (ext 213)          Cambridge, CB4 4FY, UK.

Which UNIX plays well w/Oracle

Post by Byron Wrig » Fri, 11 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>We are planning on switching or database's over to Oracle from BBx and want
>it to run under UNIX. The 64,000$ question is" Which flavor of UNIX to run
>under?"

We run Oracle Education Courses and had problems with SCO Unix. The revisions
came out late. The server would spontaneously reboot (although I think that
was our problem not SCO).

Sun is what Oracle bases all of their development on and what I would
recommend. We have had no problems since switching to SUN.

Byron Wright                                        Phone: (204) 982-4233
Information Technology Programs                       Fax: (204) 942-8308

http://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/con_ed/it

*Internet delivered Supporting Win95 and NetWare 4.11 Courses*

Which UNIX plays well w/Oracle

Post by Dave Dickers » Fri, 11 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Previously, Byron Wright said...

>>We are planning on switching or database's over to Oracle from BBx and
want
>>it to run under UNIX. The 64,000$ question is" Which flavor of UNIX to
run
>>under?"

>We run Oracle Education Courses and had problems with SCO Unix. The
revisions
>came out late. The server would spontaneously reboot (although I think
that
>was our problem not SCO).

>Sun is what Oracle bases all of their development on and what I would
>recommend. We have had no problems since switching to SUN.

>Byron Wright                                        Phone: (204) 982-4233
>Information Technology Programs                       Fax: (204) 942-8308

>http://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/con_ed/it

>*Internet delivered Supporting Win95 and NetWare 4.11 Courses*

We've been running Oracle on SCO since the days of Desktop 2.0.

No hitch's encountered until 5.0.4 and Oracle 7 but only if the SCO
Calendar and Calendar Server utilities are not installed - even so,
it's not certain at this time that it's a SCO/Oracle problem.  We
are still investigating and solicit responses from anyone else who
may have noticed this.

--
DD in AZ

Which UNIX plays well w/Oracle

Post by Udo Mu » Fri, 11 Jul 1997 04:00:00

[...]
: SCO Unix is not mentioned on the Oracle web page which discusses
: platforms - if it does run on SCO, their commitment to it is
: questionable.

On SCO's and on Oracles Web pages are public statements from both
companies about their commitments.
There are Oracle releases running on SCO UNIX, SCO ODT3, SCO OS5
and SCO Unixware, you even can get free trial products from Oracle.
--
Udo Munk - http://www.umnet.de/
No working email address provided in newsgroups anymore, sorry for the

Which UNIX plays well w/Oracle

Post by Gunnar Beushause » Fri, 11 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> SCO Unix is not mentioned on the Oracle web page which discusses
> platforms - if it does run on SCO, their commitment to it is
> questionable.

Hm, i haven't tried it yet myself, but i don't think this should be any
trouble. I know that the German Police is using SCO Open Server and i know
they're using Oracle. Well, our crime rate isn't to high, so i guess all
runs well for them...

But why don't you just try it? Go get the Oracle Demo CD. On it you can
find 30 days limited versions of Oracle for NT, SCO and Linux.

(I have this CD, unfortunatly my second Computer broke down, so i don't
have an Open Server right now but i will check this in one or two months)

--
---
Gunnar Beushausen

http://www.hof.de/~gbasic

Post by Robert Stewar » Sat, 12 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> Oracle's reference platform is currently Solaris 2.5.1 on Sparc
> architecture,
> and it is on this platform that Oracle run their TPC benchmarks (albeit
> on the top of the range systems with several Gb of RAM and up to 64
> precessors...).

> SCO Unix is not mentioned on the Oracle web page which discusses
> platforms - if it does run on SCO, their commitment to it is
> questionable.

This last statement is totally uncalled for.   We have been using
Oracle on both SCO and UnixWare for years.  Support is always good,
and updates/fixes come out in a timely manner.

Finally, SCO supports SMP, and some very powerful systems can be
configures using Intel/SCO.

Post by Steve Wer » Tue, 15 Jul 1997 04:00:00

: SCO Unix is not mentioned on the Oracle web page which discusses
: platforms - if it does run on SCO, their commitment to it is
: questionable.

The updates for SCO *do* come out much later than any other platform.
For months (and still possibly so), they kept releasing Designer
and Developer updates, neither of which would work together.  We
were trapped on this see-saw.  If we upgraded one (required), then
the other would not work, and back and forth.  I'm not sure we ever
got that resolved as of yet.

We've were promised a fix RSN...

-sw

Post by Bryan Gre » Tue, 15 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>> Oracle's reference platform is currently Solaris 2.5.1 on Sparc
>> architecture,
>> and it is on this platform that Oracle run their TPC benchmarks (albeit
>> on the top of the range systems with several Gb of RAM and up to 64
>> precessors...).

>> SCO Unix is not mentioned on the Oracle web page which discusses
>> platforms - if it does run on SCO, their commitment to it is
>> questionable.

>This last statement is totally uncalled for.   We have been using
>Oracle on both SCO and UnixWare for years.  Support is always good,
>and updates/fixes come out in a timely manner.

>Finally, SCO supports SMP, and some very powerful systems can be
>configures using Intel/SCO.

The bottom line to me is,  Which UNIX does Oracle first release
on, and which one are they most responsive to bug fixes...

The answer is SOLARIS ....

(I work on Oracle with HP-UX, Solaris, AIX, windows NT, and VMS)

Post by Steve Kanefs » Tue, 15 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>>This last statement is totally uncalled for.   We have been using
>>Oracle on both SCO and UnixWare for years.  Support is always good,
>>and updates/fixes come out in a timely manner.

>>Finally, SCO supports SMP, and some very powerful systems can be
>>configures using Intel/SCO.

>The bottom line to me is,  Which UNIX does Oracle first release
>on, and which one are they most responsive to bug fixes...

>The answer is SOLARIS ....

Solaris x86 may be the best compromise between a well-supported version of
Oracle and one that runs on inexpensive PC hardware.

--
Steve Kanefsky

Post by Dave F. Newm » Fri, 18 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>> SCO Unix is not mentioned on the Oracle web page which discusses
>> platforms - if it does run on SCO, their commitment to it is
>> questionable.

> Hm, i haven't tried it yet myself, but i don't think this should be any
> trouble. I know that the German Police is using SCO Open Server and i know
> they're using Oracle. Well, our crime rate isn't to high, so i guess all
> runs well for them...

Ack.....  It took some time to do but I have just about phased SCO
out of our company.  I will never recommend SCO ever again after
all of my dealings with them and their OS.  Their tech support is
awful.  I had to call them many times and 9 times out of 10 their
answers were useless.  If you must choose an Intel architecture
then Linux would be the way to go (I haven't seen Solaris on
Intel yet).  However, Solaris on sparc is by far the best solution.
That is if you want peace of mind in that your servers will be
up and running.  To top it off the prices are coming down.  I think
buying a 15 to $20,000 Intel server is silly when you can buy an
Ultra Sparc for equal or less money.  Just my opinion but I
replaced 3 Pentium 100s with 1 Ultra and it has virtually 0
maintenance so it works for me.

--
David Newman
System Administrator

Post by Mark A. Davi » Fri, 18 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> >> SCO Unix is not mentioned on the Oracle web page which discusses
> >> platforms - if it does run on SCO, their commitment to it is
> >> questionable.

> > Hm, i haven't tried it yet myself, but i don't think this should be any
> > trouble. I know that the German Police is using SCO Open Server and i know
> > they're using Oracle. Well, our crime rate isn't to high, so i guess all
> > runs well for them...

> Ack.....  It took some time to do but I have just about phased SCO
> out of our company.  I will never recommend SCO ever again after
> all of my dealings with them and their OS.  Their tech support is
> awful.  I had to call them many times and 9 times out of 10 their
> answers were useless.

Not our experience.

Quote:> If you must choose an Intel architecture
> then Linux would be the way to go (I haven't seen Solaris on
> Intel yet).  However, Solaris on sparc is by far the best solution.
> That is if you want peace of mind in that your servers will be
> up and running.  To top it off the prices are coming down.  I think
> buying a 15 to $20,000 Intel server is silly when you can buy an
> Ultra Sparc for equal or less money.  Just my opinion but I
> replaced 3 Pentium 100s with 1 Ultra and it has virtually 0
> maintenance so it works for me.

I could post a long reply, but I don't think it is worth it.  Let me
just say that SCO has worked just fine here, is very stable, reliable,
cost effective, and high performing.  With the correct hardware
platform, it is just as fast or faster than any similarly priced Sparc,
and just as robust and reliable.

|   Mark A. Davis,  |Lake Taylor| Voice: (757)-461-5001x431 8-4:30ET |

|Information Systems|Norfolk, VA| from USENET remove anti-spam "yy." |

1. Oracle on SUN --> Oracle on DEC Aplha + Digital Unix ?

Hi

We are currently running Oracle 7.2 on an ageing SUN Sparc2.

Because of a good hardware price, there is a proposal to
upgrade to a DEC Alpha, Digital Unix, rather than the
original SUN upgrade we intended.

Does anybody have any experience or views on this as a good
or bad idea ?

There is some concern that we may be moving to a less popular
UNIX, possibly less supported and with a doubtful future.
There are also some learning curve issues, and the need
to convert our SQL*Forms "legacy" apps to Developer 2k/Forms 4.5,
whereas under a SUN upgrade we can run them as they are
(connectintg via SQL*Net).

(We are not planning to use Developer 2K /Forms 4.5
as our future client, so this would be a one off learning
curve. We are into Delphi and Java/HTML)

Thanks for any advice / experience

Alan McCulloch

2. Problem with Audio CD's

3. ORACLE/CGI - can a CGI script inherit preset ORACLE unix env variables?

4. Software upgradeable modems

5. Cirrus Logic CLGD5434 (attn: Scott Wells)

6. Accton EN165xISA Ethernet card

7. Redhat 6.2, Oracle8i DBD::Oracle not playing

8. LWP ?

9. Yggdrasil Fall 94 Plug 'n' Play doesn't want to play.

10. play mp3 using command play in RH8

11. Can't use 'play' to play .wav file

12. need "play" to play sound files

13. I can play CD but fail to play .wav