Adding a default route at startup

Post by Jonathan Venkataramia » Fri, 07 Nov 1997 04:00:00

--------------09902114EE59FC3C671ECF0A

/etc/rc2.d/S72inetsvc

> I am trying to add a default route to my Solaris system but everytime I
> reboot it forgets this new addition and reverts back to the old table. I
> have tried adding an entry into the inittab file but this does not help.
> My syntax might be wrong!
> How can I make Solaris remember a static default route for good? I come
> from AIX world and am having problems figuring this one out!! Thanks in
> advance for any info.

> -Nitin
> --
> IBM Global Services, Mountain View CA 94043.

D? ?
--------------09902114EE59FC3C671ECF0A

begin:          vcard
fn:             Jonathan  Venkataramiah
n:              Venkataramiah;Jonathan
org:            Visual Numerics Inc

title:          Systems Analyst
note:           The opinions expressed by me, are mine and mine alone
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
version:        2.1
end:            vcard

Post by Nitin Gupt » Fri, 07 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I am trying to add a default route to my Solaris system but everytime I
reboot it forgets this new addition and reverts back to the old table. I
have tried adding an entry into the inittab file but this does not help.
My syntax might be wrong!
How can I make Solaris remember a static default route for good? I come
from AIX world and am having problems figuring this one out!! Thanks in
advance for any info.

-Nitin
IBM Global Services, Mountain View CA 94043.

Adding a default route at startup

Post by Ranko Popovi » Sat, 08 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I am trying to add a default route to my Solaris system but everytime I
> reboot it forgets this new addition and reverts back to the old table. I
> have tried adding an entry into the inittab file but this does not help.
> My syntax might be wrong!
> How can I make Solaris remember a static default route for good? I come
> from AIX world and am having problems figuring this one out!! Thanks in
> advance for any info.

> -Nitin
> --
> IBM Global Services, Mountain View CA 94043.

/etc/defaultrouter

Adding a default route at startup

Post by Zer » Sat, 08 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Try putting the ip address of the default route into a file called
/etc/defaultrouter.

: I am trying to add a default route to my Solaris system but everytime I
: reboot it forgets this new addition and reverts back to the old table. I
: have tried adding an entry into the inittab file but this does not help.
: My syntax might be wrong!
: How can I make Solaris remember a static default route for good? I come
: from AIX world and am having problems figuring this one out!! Thanks in
: advance for any info.

: -Nitin
: --
: -------------------------------------------
: IBM Global Services, Mountain View CA 94043.
: -------------------------------------------

--
        John W. Kennedy                   Crime is common.
        kennedj_tcg.com                    Logic is rare.

Adding a default route at startup

Post by nos.. » Sun, 09 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Create a file /etc/defaultrouter with a single entry of the default route's IP
address. This will establish that address as your default entry on reboot.

> > I am trying to add a default route to my Solaris system but everytime I
> > reboot it forgets this new addition and reverts back to the old table. I
> > have tried adding an entry into the inittab file but this does not help.
> > My syntax might be wrong!
> > How can I make Solaris remember a static default route for good? I come
> > from AIX world and am having problems figuring this one out!! Thanks in
> > advance for any info.

Adding a default route at startup

Post by Jeff Berle » Mon, 10 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Is there an equivalent to /etc/defaultrouter for SCO UNIX?  I've tried
/etc/defaultrouter on my SCO, but it's ignored.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff

Post by Ken Kha » Wed, 12 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> > Is there an equivalent to /etc/defaultrouter for SCO UNIX?  I've tried
> > /etc/defaultrouter on my SCO, but it's ignored.  Any ideas?

with SCO, you can do routing with:
route add default  <ip-address>
Ken

Adding a default route at startup

Post by Juan R. Guzma » Thu, 13 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I haven't touched SCO in a few years but I remember that back then you had
to actually modify the startup script.

>> Is there an equivalent to /etc/defaultrouter for SCO UNIX?  I've tried
>> /etc/defaultrouter on my SCO, but it's ignored.  Any ideas?

>Just one: post your question in one of the comp.unix.sco.* newsgroups.
>This is, after all, a *solaris* newgroup.

>> Thanks,
>> Jeff

>David S.

>... flybane.berkeley.edu

1. Adding Route Add Default to Startup

I have a linux box running rather well, until I have to re-boot. When I
re-boot the machine, I have to type

route add default gw 130.160.xxx.x eth0

before the machine will access any machine outside the 130.160 domain.
Where can I include this line in my startup files?

Thanks in advance.

--
John Alexander
Manager, Area Computing Services

2. 'unilink'. on Solrais 2.4

3. routed adds wrong default route

4. Undefined references in X11 libraries

5. ppp0 on startup and default route

6. Q: How to get rid of "busy file" check

7. Setting eth0 and default routing for RH5.1 upon startup

8. sockets->select problem

9. 2.1.5R: unwanted default route at startup

10. configuring default route at startup

11. Proper place to put add route during startup...

12. How to permanent add route command to startup sequence?

13. Redhat 5.2 route added @ startup