root has no permission to create user directory in /home

root has no permission to create user directory in /home

Post by Marianne Ya » Fri, 04 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Hi there,
I tried to create a new user in solaris 2.5.1 x86 and when I specified
that the home directory be created in /home it says that it cannot
create it.  The permissions are
dr-xr-xr-x  owner (root)  group(root)    /home.

I noticed that when I do id, the root's group is other  and I cannot
change permissions for /home.

any clue? thanks,

Post by Fletcher.Gl.. » Fri, 04 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>Hi there,
>I tried to create a new user in solaris 2.5.1 x86 and when I specified
>that the home directory be created in /home it says that it cannot
>create it.  The permissions are
>dr-xr-xr-x  owner (root)  group(root)    /home.

>I noticed that when I do id, the root's group is other  and I cannot
>change permissions for /home.

>any clue? thanks,

The Solaris FAQ says:

3.4) Why can't I write in/mount over /home?

    SunOS 5.x is delivered with the "automounter" enabled. The
    automounter is designed for NFS sites, to simplify maintenance of
    the list of filesystems that need mounting. However it is a burden
    for standalone sites.

    The automounter takes over /home and in effect becomes the NFS
    server for it, so it no longer behaves like a normal directory.
    This is normally a Good Thing as it simplifies administration if
    everybody's home directory is /home/<username>.

    To kill it off for standalone or small networks, you can comment
    out the three lines in /etc/init.d/nfs.client that start "if" (from
    the if to the fi!!), and reboot (Solaris 2.2) or remove the file
    /etc/rc2.d/S*autofs (Solaris 2.3 and later, the number depends on
    the OS release).  You can always relink that file with
    /etc/init.d/autofs if you change your mind.

    To leave the automounter running, but make it leave /home alone, simply
    comment out the /home line in /etc/auto_master, and then run "automount".

    To learn about it, read the O'Reilly book "Managing NFS and
    NIS", or ftp the white paper 'The Art of Automounting".  from
    sunsite.unc.edu in the directory /pub/sun-info/white-papers.

Post by Volker Borche » Fri, 04 Apr 1997 04:00:00

|> Hi there,
|> I tried to create a new user in solaris 2.5.1 x86 and when I specified
|> that the home directory be created in /home it says that it cannot
|> create it.  The permissions are
|> dr-xr-xr-x  owner (root)  group(root)    /home.
|>
|> I noticed that when I do id, the root's group is other  and I cannot
|> change permissions for /home.
|>
|> any clue? thanks,

if /home itself is on a different partition than /, then check the
permissions of the mount point, these somehow persist

        vb
--

root has no permission to create user directory in /home

Post by Neil Ricke » Fri, 04 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi there,
>I tried to create a new user in solaris 2.5.1 x86 and when I specified
>that the home directory be created in /home it says that it cannot
>create it.  The permissions are
>dr-xr-xr-x  owner (root)  group(root)    /home.
>I noticed that when I do id, the root's group is other  and I cannot
>change permissions for /home.

In a standard setup, '/home' is managed by the automounter.
Typically you would create the home directory in '/export/home', then
add an entry to '/etc/auto_home', so that the directory is
automounted on '/home' when needed.

Post by Frank Cusa » Fri, 04 Apr 1997 04:00:00

|> if /home itself is on a different partition than /, then check the
|> permissions of the mount point, these somehow persist
|>
|>   vb
|> --

Somehow they do, sometimes, however this has nothing to do with *root* not
being able to create directories. Permissions mean nothing to root.

The problem here is that /home is under control of automounter. Either
comment out the line for /home in /etc/auto_master (and then run automount
to get the new settings to take) or rm /etc/rc2.d/S74autofs if you don't
need the automounter at all.

--
~frank