Disks and UltraSparc architecture

Post by Stev » Fri, 18 Nov 2005 06:06:27

Hi All,

I have an Ultra 5 and an Ultra 10 both have IDE drives.  I have been
told that you cannot swap disks between the boxes ... just take the
disk out of an Ultra 5 and put it in an Ultra 10 and just power up for
everything to work fine.  Apparently there is something to do with a
node number (or similar) which is embedded somewhere.

My question is, if the above is correct, does anyone know a way of
getting around this?

Has anyone out there tried it?

Thanks,

Steve

Post by Darren Dunha » Sat, 19 Nov 2005 02:36:24

> Hi All,
> I have an Ultra 5 and an Ultra 10 both have IDE drives.  I have been
> told that you cannot swap disks between the boxes ... just take the
> disk out of an Ultra 5 and put it in an Ultra 10 and just power up for
> everything to work fine.  Apparently there is something to do with a
> node number (or similar) which is embedded somewhere.

No, not really.

Quote:> My question is, if the above is correct, does anyone know a way of
> getting around this?
> Has anyone out there tried it?

Ultra 5 and 10 are basically the same machine.  It should work okay in
most cases.  You'd want the drive to be in the same logical position
(primary/master to primary/master for instance).

For other machine combinations, it's more difficult.  The hardest bit is
the fact that there's a link from a hardware device to the logical name
of the root drive.  If that link doesn't make sense on the new hardware,
then the boot will fail.

There are workarounds for this in many cases by booting from CD and
running 'devfsadm' on the CD to rewrite the device links on the hard
drive for the new hardware.

--

Senior Technical Consultant         TAOS            http://www.taos.com/