Help: Getting system CPU and memory info

Help: Getting system CPU and memory info

Post by **Raymond Chan » Thu, 05 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi,
        I need to find out the type of CPU and the memorny installed on some of
our Sun machine. What will be the easiest way to find out? Is there any command
to get this kind of hardware information?
        I know you can get them from the boot up message and from the EPROM,
what if I don't have access to the system console.

Thanks,
Raymond

Raymond Chan    "Without music, life would be a mistake" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Toronto, Canada =*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*= ICQ UIN# 1763329
   Join Shostakovich World: http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/shostakovichworld

Help: Getting system CPU and memory info

Post by Rich Tee » Thu, 05 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>         I need to find out the type of CPU and the memorny installed on some of
> our Sun machine. What will be the easiest way to find out? Is there any command
> to get this kind of hardware information?

For processor info, "psrinfo -v" is your friend.

For memory info, have a look at my memconf program,
available from my website (URL in signature).

HTH,

--
Rich Teer

If it ain't analogue, it ain't music.

Risc Key Developments Ltd
Voice: +44 (0)1256 330612
WWW: www.rkdltd.demon.co.uk

Help: Getting system CPU and memory info

Post by Bruce Cro » Thu, 05 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,
>        I need to find out the type of CPU and the memorny installed on some of
>our Sun machine. What will be the easiest way to find out? Is there any command
>to get this kind of hardware information?
>        I know you can get them from the boot up message and from the EPROM,
>what if I don't have access to the system console.

>Thanks,
>Raymond

dmesg
Quote:>--

Post by David Lawve » Thu, 05 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> >Hi,
> >        I need to find out the type of CPU and the memorny installed on some of
> >our Sun machine. What will be the easiest way to find out? Is there any command
> >to get this kind of hardware information?
> >        I know you can get them from the boot up message and from the EPROM,
> >what if I don't have access to the system console.

> >Thanks,
> >Raymond

> dmesg

and prtconf

David Lawver - speaking for me, not UW-Madison, DoIT, or anyone else

"Paranoia can reduce security." --Nick Maclaren

Post by Jeffrey Baile » Thu, 05 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> Hi,
>         I need to find out the type of CPU and the memorny installed on some of
> our Sun machine. What will be the easiest way to find out? Is there any command
> to get this kind of hardware information?

Cheap way is to do a dmesg command and there will be a line for cpu and
mem (but you'll have to do your math, since mem is reported in K).

Also, the freeware applications like sysinfo will also tell you the
information.  Top (available at http://www.sunfreeware.com) will tell
you the memory in MB.
--
Jeff Bailey                             370 ARL
(814-)865-3259                          PO Box 30

There are two rules for success in life. Never tell everything you know.

Post by William L. Lewi » Fri, 06 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> Hi,
>         I need to find out the type of CPU and the memorny installed on some of
> our Sun machine. What will be the easiest way to find out? Is there any command
> to get this kind of hardware information?
>         I know you can get them from the boot up message and from the EPROM,
> what if I don't have access to the system console.

try

/usr/platform/<processor type like sun4u>/sbin/prtdiag

Should give you all processors, memory and io boards.  I like this cause
its a concise listing.

l8r,

--
Bill Lewis
Technology Evaluation Group,  MCI Worldcom