HW RAID options for E450

Post by Mark K Ha » Sat, 23 Sep 2000 04:00:00

I'm currently using DiskSuite for sw level RAID and I need to implement a
HW based RAID solution before we go into production.  I'm planning to move
to RAID 5 and would like some recommendations besides SUN hardware.  I'd
prefer to stick with an all SUN hw solution, but pricing might make me
look at other solutions.  We need a solution that will handle from
100-150gigs.

Right now, I have sw RAID using multiple 18gig drives.  I'd like
suggestions that could use the internal drives(raid card) and external
solutions.  I'm just starting my research and I was hoping I'd get a jump
start by folks monitoring this list.

Thanks,

Mark

HW RAID options for E450

Post by micha.. » Tue, 26 Sep 2000 15:05:25

We have hw-raid-contr SRC/P in our UE450, which works fine
up to now. Sun stopped shipping it, but now you can order it.
Furthermore we are using some A1000 with approx 190GB netto,
but you need a diff-scsi-card.

Markus

--
Markus Michalek                Johann Wolfgang Goethe-Universitaet
Hochschulrechenzentrum         Bibliotheksdatenverarbeiung

HW RAID options for E450

Post by dejanew.. » Sat, 30 Sep 2000 12:08:39

We're running 2 pairs of E450s each connected to a 30 slot Clariion 3200
dual host/dual initiator. Both Clariions have 5 - 68GB RAID5 LUNs (25 -
18gb drives + 1 hot spare). Our Clariions are SCSI (they were purchased
before I arrived), but I'd go with fibre. Check out www.clariion.com

Also check out nStor Technologies (www.nstor.com - 800-335-9191 - Ask
for Carrie Adsit). We purchased additional Clariion drives from them.
They sell Clariion and their own GigaRAID Product.

Quote:> I'm currently using DiskSuite for sw level RAID and I need to
implement a
> HW based RAID solution before we go into production.  I'm planning to
move
> to RAID 5 and would like some recommendations besides SUN hardware.
I'd
> prefer to stick with an all SUN hw solution, but pricing might make me
> look at other solutions.  We need a solution that will handle from
> 100-150gigs.

> Right now, I have sw RAID using multiple 18gig drives.  I'd like
> suggestions that could use the internal drives(raid card) and external
> solutions.  I'm just starting my research and I was hoping I'd get a
jump
> start by folks monitoring this list.

> Thanks,

> Mark

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

HW RAID options for E450

Post by Bjorn Isakse » Sat, 30 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I'm currently using DiskSuite for sw level RAID and I need to implement a
> HW based RAID solution before we go into production.  I'm planning to move
> to RAID 5 and would like some recommendations besides SUN hardware.  I'd
> prefer to stick with an all SUN hw solution, but pricing might make me
> look at other solutions.  We need a solution that will handle from
> 100-150gigs.
> Right now, I have sw RAID using multiple 18gig drives.  I'd like
> suggestions that could use the internal drives(raid card) and external
> solutions.  I'm just starting my research and I was hoping I'd get a jump
> start by folks monitoring this list.

We're evaluating Sun StorEdge A1000 and it looks like a good solution. It
can handle up to 12 36GB disk at 10.000 RPM. One disk for parity and one
disk for hotspair gives 360 GB net storage capacity.

Regards,

Bj?rn
--

Unix administrator - The University Hospital of Troms?, Norway

HW RAID options for E450

Post by Mark K Ha » Tue, 03 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Thanks everyone for your responses.  I've been taking a hard look at Sun's
solution, but the drives they use are only Ultra.  I'm not to eager to go
with a solution with Ultra drives when Ultra 3's are available.  Overall,
their solution looks good, but I wish they'd upgrade to Ultra 3.  I'm
going to call them to verify what I got from the web site.

-Mark

[...]

: --

: Unix administrator - The University Hospital of Troms?, Norway

1. HW RAID vs SW RAID

Hi all,

I've recently experienced a double diskcrash on a f50 (running aix 4.3.3)
with mirrorred disks. The two disks which crashed were mirrors of eachother.
The mirror was SW controlled.

A colleague later told me that he had experienced exactly the same thing.

It is possible that the SW controlled mirrors are that unstable? Is there
any way to improve a SW controlled mirror?

- thomas

2. Serial console strangeness

3. E450 and DPT internel raid controller

4. Netscape Enterprise server - Variable telling which page accessed?

5. Software raid with SUN E450

6. XF86_P9000 Problems, Diamond Viper PCI

7. How to implement RAID 5 with Solaris8 on E450 Sun box

8. mount HP-UX 9000

9. No more internal RAID controllers for E450?

10. Performance of Sun RAID controller card (SRC/P) for E450

11. E450 & SRC/P Raid

12. No more internal RAID controllers for E450?

13. E450+SRC/P Raid Controller