basic newbie questions - cannot remote login - connection refused.

basic newbie questions - cannot remote login - connection refused.

Post by droodl » Sat, 29 Oct 2005 19:43:05

ok at first i could not login but then i edited the \etc\default\login
file and i could get access.

i've sisce rebooted and the file is still as edited but now when ever i
try to connect to either port 22 or 23 i get connection refused i can
log on ok locally.

I can ping the server ok

also how can i start the CDE from the command line ?

thanks.

Post by James Carlso » Sat, 29 Oct 2005 22:27:55

> ok at first i could not login but then i edited the \etc\default\login
> file and i could get access.

> i've sisce rebooted and the file is still as edited but now when ever i
> try to connect to either port 22 or 23 i get connection refused i can
> log on ok locally.

What version of Solaris?

"Connection refused" means that the service (ssh and telnet above)
isn't running.  If this is Solaris 10, then you might need to enable
those services.  Use:

        svcadm enable ssh

and/or:

        svcadm enable telnet

(Though, really, using telnet these days is probably not the best of
ideas.)

Or use "svcs -x" to figure out what's broken on the system.

--

Sun Microsystems / 1 Network Drive         71.232W   Vox +1 781 442 2084
MS UBUR02-212 / Burlington MA 01803-2757   42.496N   Fax +1 781 442 1677

1. Newbie: ftp connection refused questions

I have four computers with RH7.1 installed and I was trying to ftp back and
forth but I was getting connection refused errors.  I searched the
newsgroups for tips and found out that I needed to edit
/etc/xinetd.d/wu-ftpd and set disable=no.  Now the newsgroup posting that
explained this also said to comment out or delete the "root" line in
/etc/ftpusers and the "deny-gid" & "deny-uid" lines in /etc/ftpaccess but
didn't explain why.

Could someone please explain?

Clayton

2. a sorted find

3. very basic basic newbie question

4. Solaris 10 x86 network install problem

5. newbie questions: remote login using modem

6. tcsh for Solaris

7. Newbie question on remote Xwindow connections between Linux systems

8. A7A-266 m/b & Solaris - does it work?

9. FTP from remote host to 7.1 system, connection refused

10. telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused, ok second or third try.

11. Cannot FTP, gets Connection refused.

12. telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused

13. remote printing: lpr: connection refused