Multiple IPs on 1 interface

Post by Dirt » Fri, 12 Oct 2001 07:37:29

I am trying to add another IP address on my interface card (Solaris 8).
I have followed the guidelines from INFODOC 15659:

  1. Create entry in /etc/hosts
  2. Create /etc/hostname.hme0:1
  3. Reboot

I get no response from the ip or name.  When I use ifconfig -a, the new
entry appears.  The only difference from the existing hostname, is that
the new hostname does not specify an ether address.

What am I missing here?

Multiple IPs on 1 interface

Post by Barry Margoli » Fri, 12 Oct 2001 08:00:54

>I am trying to add another IP address on my interface card (Solaris 8).
>I have followed the guidelines from INFODOC 15659:

>  1. Create entry in /etc/hosts
>  2. Create /etc/hostname.hme0:1
>  3. Reboot

>I get no response from the ip or name.  When I use ifconfig -a, the new
>entry appears.  The only difference from the existing hostname, is that
>the new hostname does not specify an ether address.

>What am I missing here?

What do you mean by "I get no response from the ip or name"?  You mean
you're pinging it from another machine on the LAN?  Is the new IP address
in the same subnet as the old one?  If not, the other machine may not know
that it's on the local network, and is instead sending it out to the
default gateway.

--

Genuity, Woburn, MA

Multiple IPs on 1 interface

Post by Darren Dunha » Sat, 13 Oct 2001 10:43:23

> I am trying to add another IP address on my interface card (Solaris 8).
> I have followed the guidelines from INFODOC 15659:
>   1. Create entry in /etc/hosts
>   2. Create /etc/hostname.hme0:1
>   3. Reboot
> I get no response from the ip or name.  When I use ifconfig -a, the new
> entry appears.  The only difference from the existing hostname, is that
> the new hostname does not specify an ether address.

It appears in ifconfig -a, but it doesn't work?  Does the ifconfig
output include the UP portion?

If not, what does this output?

wc -l /etc/hostname.hme0:1

          < How are you gentlemen!! Take off every '.SIG'!! >

Multiple IPs on 1 interface

Post by Jonathan Hay » Sat, 13 Oct 2001 11:17:47

This link give detailed steps.

http://www.geocities.com/danilody/solaris/network.html

> I am trying to add another IP address on my interface card (Solaris
> 8).  I have followed the guidelines from INFODOC 15659:

>   1. Create entry in /etc/hosts
>   2. Create /etc/hostname.hme0:1
>   3. Reboot

> I get no response from the ip or name.  When I use ifconfig -a, the
> new entry appears.  The only difference from the existing hostname, is
> that the new hostname does not specify an ether address.

> What am I missing here?

Multiple IPs on 1 interface

Post by Marc Ferr » Sat, 13 Oct 2001 22:29:28

Darren Dunham a crit :

> > I am trying to add another IP address on my interface card (Solaris 8).
> > I have followed the guidelines from INFODOC 15659:

> >   1. Create entry in /etc/hosts
> >   2. Create /etc/hostname.hme0:1
> >   3. Reboot

> > I get no response from the ip or name.  When I use ifconfig -a, the new
> > entry appears.  The only difference from the existing hostname, is that
> > the new hostname does not specify an ether address.

> It appears in ifconfig -a, but it doesn't work?  Does the ifconfig
> output include the UP portion?

> If not, what does this output?

> wc -l /etc/hostname.hme0:1

It counts the number of lines of file /etc/hostname.hme0:1

I suggest you 'man ifconfig'

Marc

Multiple IPs on 1 interface

Post by Darren Dunha » Sun, 14 Oct 2001 01:32:55

> Darren Dunham a crit :

>> > I am trying to add another IP address on my interface card (Solaris 8).
>> > I have followed the guidelines from INFODOC 15659:

>> >   1. Create entry in /etc/hosts
>> >   2. Create /etc/hostname.hme0:1
>> >   3. Reboot

>> > I get no response from the ip or name.  When I use ifconfig -a, the new
>> > entry appears.  The only difference from the existing hostname, is that
>> > the new hostname does not specify an ether address.

>> It appears in ifconfig -a, but it doesn't work?  Does the ifconfig
>> output include the UP portion?

>> If not, what does this output?

>> wc -l /etc/hostname.hme0:1
> It counts the number of lines of file /etc/hostname.hme0:1

I realize that.  That's why I asked.

Do you realize what happens if the OP ran that and it said 2 ?

Quote:> I suggest you 'man ifconfig'

It's not ifconfig that causes the problem.  It's the new logic in
rcS.d/S30network.sh

          < How are you gentlemen!! Take off every '.SIG'!! >

1. Multiple IPs per interface

Is it possible to set multiple interfaces to the same address?  This would
give a degree of redundancy if one interface were to go down.  I would like
to configure the server so that one address could be used and whichever
interface was less busy took the traffic.

For example, one server had five network interfaces (eithernet, fddi, T1,
whatever).  DNS points to IP XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX as www.mysite.com.  I want that
IP available to all interfaces so whichever interface gets the data acts on
it.   I assume something like
this is done in high bandwidth sites.  How are web sites configured?  They
can't just have a T3 plugged into one server interface.

Any insite from high volume site administrators on how they are set up is
appreciated.

Joe

2. socks server for Solaris

3. Multiple DHCP-assigned IPs on a single physical interface?

4. A better dynamic loader???

5. IPTables with Virtual Interfaces and Multiple Public IPs

6. nph script on NES NT?

7. "ifconfig alias" - multiple IPs on one interface

8. PPP throughput using 56k (V.90) modem

9. multiple IPs on one interface...thanks, plus new prob

10. Multiple IPs on dial up interface

11. iproute2 & multiple IPs on 1 interface

12. Manually assigned DHCP to interfaces with multiple IPs?

13. multiple IPs on one interface.