static link, Motif libraries

Post by Andrew Staniszews » Sat, 04 May 1996 04:00:00

are the archives for the motif libraries available from  SUN??

The installation I have is in /usr/dt (developer toolkit?) and only contains
the shared libraries, no archives

I need to staticly link executables for distribtuion purposes .

Andrew Staniszewski
Sr. Software Engineer
Special Purpose Processing Group
Mayo Foundation

Please Note: Unless otherwise specified, I speak only for myself, NOT as
a representative of the Special Purpose Processor Group or Mayo Foundation

           A diamond is a lump of coal that stuck with the job

static link, Motif libraries

Post by Bart Smaalde » Sat, 04 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> are the archives for the motif libraries available from  SUN??

> The installation I have is in /usr/dt (developer toolkit?) and only contains
> the shared libraries, no archives

No.  CDE is shipped with only dynamic libraries.

Quote:> I need to staticly link executables for distribtuion purposes .

Why?  The CDE libraries are freely re-distributable; just take the packages
you need and bundle them w/ your application.

We don't supply static libs because:

1) This binds all filesystem <> library interfaces at compile time.  After
   a couple of CDE releases we end up with apps linked with CDE 1.0 running
   with apps with libs from CDE 1.1 ...  All those interfaces would have to
   be frozen, or we'd  break all your apps on every minor release.

2) people manage to link some libs static, some dynamic.  This would cause
   us to have to freeze all inter-lib interfaces, something CDE isn't ready for...

3) lots of folks would "staticly link executables for distribtuion purposes";
   this causes end users lots of grief since they get to have n copies of the
   not very svelte Motif+Xt+Xlib+... toolkit in memory.

---
Bart Smaalders                  Solaris Clustering      SunSoft

http://playground.sun.com/~barts                   2550 Garcia Ave
                                                        Mt View, CA 94043-1100

1. Problems linking static library on executable and static library

Hi,
  I'm a newbie in programming on Un*x platforms, so maybe, it could
be caused by my lack of experience.

Ok. I have a static library "libSM.a" depending on two libraries one
of them shared: "libErrP.so" and a static one: "libCB.a"

I'm trying to compile an executable "EInvA" linking with both "libSM.a" and
"libCB.a" and get the following error:

CC  -mt -fast -DNONE_CLASH -o RELEASE/EInvA     RELEASE/inva.o
-lsocket -lnsl -ldl -lCstd -lc -lnsl -lsocket -lclntsh
-L/libs/libSM/STATIC -lSM -L/libs/libCB/STATIC -lCB

Undefined symbol                 first referenced in file

int CB::Connect(char*, char*) /libs/libSM/STATIC/libSM.a (libSM.o)
CB::CB()                      /libs/libSM/STATIC/libSM.a (libSM.o)
CB::~CB()                     /libs/libSM/STATIC/libSM.a (libSM.o)

And "CB" symbols are defined in "libCB.a"

?Could someone tell me what could be happening?

Thanks in advanced,
   R.

2. Remote control DOS/Windows 3.1x/95/98/NT/OS2 WARP from UNIX!

3. How to link motif 2.1 static library ?

4. Downloading source

5. Static linking of Motif libraries

6. remote login to indy X

7. linking static library against another library

8. GNU readline problem

9. dynamic link libraries and static libraries

10. link static libraries into a shared library

11. static linking motif in 2.5.1 w/ CDE

12. Static linking and wierd motif stuff

13. static linking of Motif binaries