tar write sun-solaris dlt tar read winnt?

tar write sun-solaris dlt tar read winnt?

Post by EPC » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

i'd appreciate hearing whether anyone has successfully written a tar tape
on a dlt tape device on a sun (solaris v2.6 or later) and have it readable
off a dlt tape device on a winnt 4.0 server using tar. i.e. is there
anything unique about how either operating system,tar versions or hardware
might make data transfer across these operating systems as described
above impossible ?

thank you for your help. j.c.

***************************
Joyce M.R. Cooper
Boston Research Data Center
U.S. Census Bureau

tar write sun-solaris dlt tar read winnt?

Post by Andrew Welha » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

i've done it with a dat and it worked fine:)
the only problem i have seen has been to do with the block size, f the default
blocksize for the drive was not varable, but this may have been the version of
TAR i was using on thent server.

The best way to move data between NT and unix i have found to be is via the
network using an a product like samba so the unix boxes appear in the NT
Network Neighbourhood.

Andy

> i'd appreciate hearing whether anyone has successfully written a tar tape
> on a dlt tape device on a sun (solaris v2.6 or later) and have it readable
> off a dlt tape device on a winnt 4.0 server using tar. i.e. is there
> anything unique about how either operating system,tar versions or hardware
> might make data transfer across these operating systems as described
> above impossible ?

> thank you for your help. j.c.

> ***************************
> Joyce M.R. Cooper
> Boston Research Data Center
> U.S. Census Bureau

1. "Tar-Baby": Data read/write dilemma using "tar"

Hi,

Have you tried 'dd' on the tape.   I am assumeing you want to retrieve the information from the beginning of the tape to the bit where you overwrote from.   I thing a 'dd if=<device> of=data' may help.   You can get 'dd' to ingore errors too, so that it reads on.

Hope that helps, email me if I have assummed wrong.

--
Ash Vadgama

2. LinuxPPC News!!!

3. tar -xvf mozilla.tar = tar: directory checksum error

4. Running a dedicated server behind a linux IP masq box

5. Wanted: rcmd host tar x_?_vqf file.tar file1 ... fileN | tar xvf -

6. Dirver for CIO DAS08?

7. Write with tar and read with dd?

8. Network -> Prodigy

9. Reading and Writing a Tar File to Zip Disk

10. read/write tar/cpio tapes under dos

11. Reading SGI or SUN 4mm TAR Tapes (which mt?)

12. Tar can't read tapes created on Sun with blocksize 126

13. Reading tar tape created on Sun: Linux sez bad block size