advice

Post by Eden » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 07:58:04

I farely new to solaris. Trying to get certified on it. I wondering during setup when declaring slices what's the normal routine. . My system i have 10 gigs and so far i have it set up as

slice 0 = root / = 128 mb
slice 1 = swap 512 mb
slice 3 = /usr gb
slice 4 = /var 1.5gb
slice 5 = /opt1.5gb
slice 6 = /oracle 2gb
slice 7 = 1gb (since no users will be logged into this system)

does this sound ok to anyone. The only problem i have is that i get a error when trying to install patches. saying there isn't enough space. any ideas?

advice

Post by Rich Tee » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 08:03:25

> I farely new to solaris. Trying to get certified on it. I wondering during setup when declaring slices what's the normal routine. . My system i have 10 gigs and so far i have it set up as

> slice 0 = root / = 128 mb
> slice 1 = swap 512 mb
> slice 3 = /usr gb
> slice 4 = /var 1.5gb
> slice 5 = /opt1.5gb
> slice 6 = /oracle 2gb
> slice 7 = 1gb (since no users will be logged into this system)

If you're new to Solaris, make your life easy:

        s0: / rest of disk
        s1: swap 1 GB
        s3: /oracle 2 GB
        s7: /export/home 1 GB

--
Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

advice

Post by Lon Stowel » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 08:09:08

> I farely new to solaris. Trying to get certified on it. I wondering during setup when declaring slices what's the normal routine. . My system i have 10 gigs and so far i have it set up as

> slice 0 = root / = 128 mb
> slice 1 = swap 512 mb
> slice 3 = /usr gb
> slice 4 = /var 1.5gb
> slice 5 = /opt1.5gb
> slice 6 = /oracle 2gb
> slice 7 = 1gb (since no users will be logged into this system)

> does this sound ok to anyone. The only problem i have is that i get a error when trying to install patches. saying there isn't enough space. any ideas?

   What are you using slice 7 for?  Suggest add it to /var

   What is in /opt  ?  anything that can be combined with /usr ?

   Is /oracle really using that space?

   Adding a disk always works...

advice

Post by Dave Uhrin » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 08:48:42

> If you're new to Solaris, make your life easy:

>    s0: / rest of disk
>    s1: swap 1 GB
>    s3: /oracle 2 GB
>    s7: /export/home 1 GB

That allocation for Oracle is OK for Oracle-8.1.7 on x86, but Oracle-9i on
SPARC will require twice that plus space for the demo instance.

advice

Post by Rich Tee » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 09:05:08

> That allocation for Oracle is OK for Oracle-8.1.7 on x86, but Oracle-9i on
> SPARC will require twice that plus space for the demo instance.

I don't doubt it!  I was following the OP's Oracle
space allocation, which may or may not have been
sufficient.

--
Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

advice

Post by Dave Uhrin » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 09:54:40

>> That allocation for Oracle is OK for Oracle-8.1.7 on x86, but Oracle-9i on
>> SPARC will require twice that plus space for the demo instance.

> I don't doubt it!  I was following the OP's Oracle
> space allocation, which may or may not have been
> sufficient.

I tried to install Oracle 9.0.2 on a 4.0GB drive which actually had 3.8GB
of filesystem space.  The installer insisted that it needed 3.9GB, not
including the demo instance ;-)

advice

Post by Eden » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 11:18:55

So in terms of having a sparc system with 10 gigs how should i separate the slices. I want to be able to load the patches as well as run oracle on it. any help pls?

advice

Post by Dave Uhrin » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 11:47:26

> So in terms of having a sparc system with 10 gigs how should i
> separate the slices. I want to be able to load the patches as well
> as run oracle on it. any help pls?

A complete installation of Solaris 9 requires about 1700MB after some
patches have been applied plus your swap space.  That is 1700MB after the
removal of such "mandatory" packages as PCMCIA on a workstation and a few
others.

If you allocate:

0       /               2500
1       swap            1000
5       /u01            4100
6       /u02             600
7       /export/home    rest

You -should- have enough space for the system, Oracle 9i and some home
space for users.

The size of your database instance(s) may require additional drive space,
but /u02 as shown should be large enough for the demo instance.  Neither
is there much space available for add-on software.

advice

Post by Anthony Mandi » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 18:12:07

> > That allocation for Oracle is OK for Oracle-8.1.7 on x86, but Oracle-9i on
> > SPARC will require twice that plus space for the demo instance.

> I don't doubt it!  I was following the OP's Oracle
> space allocation, which may or may not have been
> sufficient.

        Oracle's well known as being bloatware. Probably good for
        Sun but not so good for Oracle users.

-am     ? 2003

advice

Post by John D Groenve » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 02:30:55

Quote:>I tried to install Oracle 9.0.2 on a 4.0GB drive which actually had 3.8GB
>of filesystem space.  The installer insisted that it needed 3.9GB, not
>including the demo instance ;-)

Do a custom install of software only, remove the app server and
any other ancillary products and you should be able to get around
the 4GB disk reqt.

John

1. Need advice to build Mosaic 2.6 on Linux system

Hello,

I'm trying to build Mosaic-2.6 with Metrolink Motif 2.0 from source. My
System is a complete ELF one. With gcc-2.72, libc-5.1.18, ld-1.7.12 as
development environment.  Kernel is still 1.2.13.

There was something wrong with the XmManagerClassPart included from
/usr/include/X11/Xm/ManagerP.h .

I've no make log handy at the moment, but if someone is willing to help
me out, I'll provide them.

The exactly same kind of messages appear if I try to build moxftp-2.2.

Has someone out there a fix or idea handy?

TIA,
-volker
--

2. Is Adaptec ARO-1130 RAIDport supported?

3. RAID Level 1 errors, need advice...

4. papd.conf question for HP Deskjet 840C user

5. Advice on SMP machines required

6. Q: NT ras to Solaris serial ppp

7. Partition Advice Request

8. Zyxel

9. advice on radio modems

10. server/vb - advice please

11. Filesystem Problem. Help/Advice Required Please.

12. Need advice re chaining http proxies

13. YP/NIS advice?