Help: solaris, dial in modem, terminal server?

Help: solaris, dial in modem, terminal server?

Post by Albert S. Johnst » Mon, 24 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Hi.

We have a dial in modem hooked to a terminal server (xylex clone of
decserver family).  Once we get connectd to the terminal server we
should be able to connect to our vax or our suns.  ie

^M^M
prompt> c hostb
username:

etc.

Most of the time it works okay,
but ocassionally the server does not respond to the ^M^M, and instead
periodically generates a string of "UUUUUUUUUU" to the screen.

Then the only thing to do is to drive to work and reset the modem.

I think the problem is that the sun has a connection already
established to the server befor i connect to the modem... but
I am not sure.

Most of my knowledge is vms...  so I really do not know anything about
how a modem/terminal server is supposed to connect to a sun.  the
terminal server is an ethernet thing.

Can anybody help me get this to be more reliable?

thanks.

    a. johnston

Help: solaris, dial in modem, terminal server?

Post by Albert S. Johnst » Fri, 28 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I still am looking for some help on this.  It is working
intermitently.  Configuration is a xyplex terminal server connected to
1 Vax and 3 suns.  Use is for dial-in only.

Some times I get a good connection.

 Sometimes i get a bad connection.  In this case , in responce to my
^M^M i get a reply of UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.  Strings
of U's show up every 45 sec or so, and then the modem hangs up.

Some times I get a hybird connection.  This should give some one
a clue...  It looks like this:

I type

   ^M^M

And the server replies

    Please log out of the terminal server when done.
    Enter username> astHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUj
    Xyplex>
    NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUn

It ignores any thing I type after the initall ^M^M, and from here on
acts like the "bad" connection discribed above.

It looks to me like, although I partially have the incoming (modem to
terminal server) connection that one of the suns is still trying to
control the outgoing (sun-ethernet-server->modem) connection...
proablaby at a different baud rate.  I tryied fixing the baud rate
but seems to break things perminently... so I am back to autobaud.

Need some help here guys.... why would the sun be autonimously trying
to connect to the server?????

HELP!!!
server

Quote:>Hi.

>We have a dial in modem hooked to a terminal server (xylex clone of
>decserver family).  Once we get connectd to the terminal server we
>should be able to connect to our vax or our suns.  ie

>^M^M
>prompt> c hostb
>username:

>etc.

>Most of the time it works okay,
>but ocassionally the server does not respond to the ^M^M, and instead
>periodically generates a string of "UUUUUUUUUU" to the screen.

>Then the only thing to do is to drive to work and reset the modem.

>I think the problem is that the sun has a connection already
>established to the server befor i connect to the modem... but
>I am not sure.

>Most of my knowledge is vms...  so I really do not know anything about
>how a modem/terminal server is supposed to connect to a sun.  the
>terminal server is an ethernet thing.

>Can anybody help me get this to be more reliable?

>thanks.

>    a. johnston

1. supraexpress modems (28.8) problems w/dial-ins

Hello,

        I've configured my linux box to receive calls from two 28.8
SupraExpress modems (both support v.34).  Everything works fine, the
connection, everything.  However, when the user logs off, the modems
literally go bezerks and make the LED display shows pure garbage and
the SD/RD leds blinks relentlessly.  After that, the modem no longer
answer to commands issued by my system or to incoming calls, and I get
this kind of messages inside /var/adm/messages:

Feb 24 14:05:02 zeus kernel: ttyS0: 13 input overrun(s)

        for both ports.  The only solution is to power off the modem
and restart it.  Then, uugetty regains controls and accepts answers.

        Here's a copy of my /etc/default/uugetty.ttyS0 file:

CLEAR = NO
HANGUP=YES
#DEBUG=777
DEBUG=010
INIT="" AT&F2S0=1\r OK
ALTLOCK=cua0
ALTLINE=cua0
#WAITFOR=RING
#CONNECT="" ATs0=1\r CONNECT \s\A
TIMEOUT=60

        Help!

        ...David

--

// Socom technologies, Inc.        Tel: 514/939-0480 Fax: 514/939-0834
   " There are lies, damned lies, and statistics. " -- Mark Twain

2. Squid and FTP Authentication

3. getty_ps2.0.7 Still my modem does not accepts dial-ins.

4. OpenBSD host.conf equiv.?

5. Problems with dialing out when dial-ins are enabled

6. Upgrading the rpm package itself...

7. Dialing out from modem on terminal server ..

8. Ok, I'd removed wu-ftpd and now i'm running proftpd. I know it's working

9. ppp dial out through a modem pool/terminal server

10. Remote unix (RS/6000) servers with dial-ins

11. HELP WITH DIAL INS

12. Need Help on setting up getty for dial-ins

13. Dial In and Dial Out Server on same Modem