pages in memory, but not in use, not in swap?

pages in memory, but not in use, not in swap?

Post by Rosalind C Gr » Sun, 14 Mar 1993 02:45:53

I was wondering if anybody could solve this mystery for me...

I have a friend who wrote a program to examine a process in solaris
and print out various stats about it. He tried it on a continually running
task and he got stats that basically said the process consists of 44
resident pages but of which 33 were in use.

Why is there a discrepancy? If the 14 pages were not in use, wouldn't they
get swapped out? Or is it that "resident" means not swappable?

        -thanks for any info!

        :-) Rosy