How much space should an "average" /usr consume?

How much space should an "average" /usr consume?

Post by Dan » Thu, 27 Jun 2002 09:21:33

I've inherited a Sparc 10 running Solaris 8 and /usr is approaching
its limit...

# df -k /usr
Filesystem            kbytes    used   avail capacity  Mounted on
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s6     653295  541925   52574    92%    /usr

Do all the following directories belong here?  Do any look abnormally
large?? Can some be safely moved elsewhere or  moved and  symlinked?
I do have much larger partition that I could move /usr to, though I'm
not exactly sure how to do that any my first choice would be to trim
some existing fat if possible.

Here's a brief list of the directories and sizes:
 NOTE:  /usr/local is mounted elsewhere

7069    4lib
1       5bin
1       X
1       adm
3788    apache
133     aset
13286   bin
2355    ccs
8325    demo
1       dict
105468  dt
1       games
7505    include
58434   j2se
1       java
26291   java1.1
49594   java1.2
2575    kernel
3       kvm
127412  lib
413478  local
8       lost+found
1       mail
1       man
5       net
1       news
24      oasys
1       old
245737  openwin
11787   perl5
8873    platform
1       preserve
15      proc
1       pub
17624   sadm
10658   sbin
71829   share
2850    snadm
1       spool
1       src
1       tmp
619     ucb
158     ucbinclude
1478    ucblib
383     vmsys
3572    xpg4

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
-Dan

---

Remove reversed (.nospam) to reply via email (Damn mailbots are
getting pretty damn smart nowadays!)

"Old programmers never die... Unless of course they refuse to accept a
few extra CPU cycles in lieu of months of efficiency tuning... [Have
times changed or WHAT!]"