Stupid Question: Newsreader

Post by Ben Fogar » Wed, 20 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Could some kind soul point me to a newsreader for Solaris? I have a Sparc
2 on my desk and
the browser, but I really need the conferences. Thats where the best
people and the best
information resides. I can ftp a newsreader but since all my past
experience has been
on MAC and PC software, I don't know what is the right tool for a Sun.
Thanks very much
for your help.

Ben

Stupid Question: Newsreader

Post by Nasse » Wed, 20 Aug 1997 04:00:00

says...

Quote:

>Could some kind soul point me to a newsreader for Solaris? I have a Sparc
>2 on my desk and
>the browser,

for reading news, you can use emacs, (just tell it what
nntp server you want to use, there are free ones you can use),
or you can use a browser (such as netscape)  to read newsgroups,
for example, I posted this though the browser, this is the URL
for this news group:

http://drn.zippo.com/news-bin/wwwnews?comp.unix.solaris/

go to the top of the above URL to access other news groups.

Nasser

Stupid Question: Newsreader

Post by Peter A. Glase » Thu, 21 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Try connecting to http://ftpsearch.ntnu.no/ftpsearch

This place is great for ftp searches.

-Pete

Quote:> Could some kind soul point me to a newsreader for Solaris? I have a Sparc
> 2 on my desk and
> the browser, but I really need the conferences. Thats where the best
> people and the best
> information resides. I can ftp a newsreader but since all my past
> experience has been
> on MAC and PC software, I don't know what is the right tool for a Sun.
> Thanks very much
> for your help.

> Ben

1. --stupid question but then there are no stupid questions--

        I'm a beginner here so, so far everything i read has gone
    way over my head. My problem is I got a script sent to me
    decoded or something like that. You are supposed to enter the
    data into a uudecode or something but I'm not sure how that's
    done. There's a program on the university's main menu that
    called UUDECODE but everytime I run it through it, it says it
    can't open the file. Comments ??????? Help ?

        eric

2. How many com ports can Linux box handle ?

3. Stupid or not so stupid questions

4. For all you guys with .htaccess problems

5. Stupid, stupid question

6. Gigabit Network Cards

7. One stupid question and one not so stupid

8. running apps from /etc/rc.d/rc.local

9. REALLY STUPID QUESTIONS (not so stupid)

10. Stupid, stupid, stupid...

11. Stupid, stupid, stupid! FAT access rights...

12. stupid choice = another stupid newbie question

13. STUPID STUPID question