Terminal settings for vi

Post by N van Bolhui » Wed, 14 Mar 2001 00:46:29

What terminal settings should I use for vi ?

When I work on a remote machine and use vi the text file
I edit is not correctly displayed. The lines start at the
end of my terminal, basides that, the first line that is
shown is line 25 or so.

Anybody have any idea how to fix this ?

Terminal settings for vi

Post by Kevin R. Pace » Wed, 14 Mar 2001 01:28:40

If in bourne, set your TERM enviornment.
TERM=vt100;export TERM

C shell (csh, tcsh, etc)
setenv TERM=vt100

I usually jump to bourne whenever I need to do anything out of the ordinary.

This should work for just about all platforms, since they all understand
vt100.  With HP, you might want "hpterm" in place of vt100.

-krp

Quote:

> What terminal settings should I use for vi ?

> When I work on a remote machine and use vi the text file
> I edit is not correctly displayed. The lines start at the
> end of my terminal, basides that, the first line that is
> shown is line 25 or so.

> Anybody have any idea how to fix this ?

Terminal settings for vi

Post by John D Groenve » Wed, 14 Mar 2001 05:29:37

Your post is  missing the most useful information, what kind of terminal?
John

Terminal settings for vi

Post by N van Bolhui » Wed, 14 Mar 2001 16:35:23

> Your post is  missing the most useful information, what kind of terminal?
> John

dtterm

Terminal settings for vi

Post by John D Groenve » Thu, 15 Mar 2001 05:31:43

Quote:>dtterm

My guess, your remote host doesn't know the dtterm settings.
Try setting TERM to vt220 and then reseting with
echo ^VESCc
John

Terminal settings for vi

Post by Griff Mille » Tue, 20 Mar 2001 23:55:25

> What terminal settings should I use for vi ?

> When I work on a remote machine and use vi the text file
> I edit is not correctly displayed. The lines start at the
> end of my terminal, basides that, the first line that is
> shown is line 25 or so.

> Anybody have any idea how to fix this ?

stty rows nn cols mm

...where nn=number of rows and mm=number of columns.

--
Griff Miller II
Manager of Information Technology      "Beware of those who seek to win an

1. vi config, terminal setting or Xceed configuration issue ?

Hi there,

I seem to be having a terminal setting problem rather than a vi
configuration problem:

When I try to enter numbers from the numeric section of the keyboard in the
vi editor some letter appears and the line shifts up.  When I do this on
the command prompt it behaves normally.  I guess vi resets the terminal
settings in some mode so my keyboard settings do not correspond what is set
up in exceed anymore.
Everything behaves normally when I access Unix without exceed using telnet
from the NT prompt.

Anybody an explanation ?

Note: We access Unix thru the Hummingbird Xceed X terminal software on an
NT windows PC.

2. pthreads - how to see from /proc

3. bitkeeper cygwin messed up cygwin terminal setting for tcsh, lynx: dumb terminal?

4. Safe way to move the / partition?

5. curses.h - (colour setting ) , drawing box , terminal setting

6. how to suspend a process

7. vi question - unknown terminal type

8. e2fs Filesystems problems!!!lease help

9. Vi host terminal problems?

10. vi and terminal problem

11. terminal problem w/ vi

12. vi doesn't restore the terminal (text) in Solaris 2.4

13. vi - problem on ibm3151 terminal