Turning off IP Routing in Solaris 2.5

Post by Jeff Mcada » Thu, 29 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>I'm trying to setup a dual-homed bastion host and need to
>turn off routing between the two ethernet adapters.  How do I
>do this in Solaris 2.5?

Not positive about 2.5, but for 2.4 you would use the command:
ndd -set /dev/ip ip_forwarding 0

I can't see that this would be changed too dramatically between the
versions, but I don't know firsthand.

Jeff McAdams             |     A feature is a bug
IgLou Internet Services  |     with seniority.

Post by Philip Bro » Thu, 29 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>I'm trying to setup a dual-homed bastion host and need to
>turn off routing between the two ethernet adapters.  How do I
>do this in Solaris 2.5?

There have been other methods suggested, but by far the simplest
(and an undocumented feature, as far as I know)
is to just touch /etc/notrouter.
At boot time, forwarding will get turned off by one of the boot scripts.

NOTE: This only works for 2.5, not earlier versions of the OS.

Post by Stephen C. Fitc » Thu, 07 Mar 1996 04:00:00

> I'm trying to setup a dual-homed bastion host and need to
> turn off routing between the two ethernet adapters.  How do I
> do this in Solaris 2.5?

> Thanks for the help.
> --
> Michael Dahl

> --

See the document: SunSolve Document infodoc/12618, I can mail you this
doc if ness.

Also with 'ndd' you can set:

ip_forwarding

  Determines if the workstation will route packets. This variable can be
  one of three selections:

    0     Never forward
    1     Always forward
    2     Only forward when two or more interfaces are up

  The default value is 2.

scf.