Q: ip:ip_enable_group_ifs

Post by Acacio Cruz » Fri, 12 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Question: What does the "ip:ip_enable_group_ifs" do PRECISELY?

I know that it will group interfaces BUT there's a lot of
ambiguities:

 - what if the system has 3 interfaces and only 2 need to
   be grouped?
 - what if the interfaces are on different networks?
 - what if there's more than one logical interface per physical
   interface?

Just from the top of my mind, these questions appear to be VERY
important. Specially important for proxy servers, as it is my case.

Can someone give a good answer??

Please, spare me the "it will group the interfaces" replies.

--

IT Consultant   Personal WWW site: http://www.acacio.com
Dynamac Corp.   PGP Public Key: http://www.acacio.com/~acruz/Acacio.pgp

Q: ip:ip_enable_group_ifs

Post by Frank Cusac » Fri, 12 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Question: What does the "ip:ip_enable_group_ifs" do PRECISELY?

> I know that it will group interfaces BUT there's a lot of
> ambiguities:

It's not ambiguous.

Quote:

>  - what if the system has 3 interfaces and only 2 need to
>    be grouped?

too bad, there isn't that fine of control.

Quote:>  - what if the interfaces are on different networks?

they aren't grouped. Only interfaces on the same nets are grouped.

Quote:>  - what if there's more than one logical interface per physical
>    interface?

They're grouped if their on the same [sub]net.

--
Frank Cusack     ** Qwest Internet Solutions **    PGP: C001AA75
496620796F752063616E207265616420746869732C20796F7520686176652066

Q: ip:ip_enable_group_ifs

Post by David Com » Tue, 23 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Question: What does the "ip:ip_enable_group_ifs" do PRECISELY?

It will group *physcial* (not logical) interfaces which share a common
prefix (namely subnet number and subnetmask).  Traffic to destinations
(final or intermediate) on that prefix will be routed through each
interface in the group in a round-robin fashion.  This round-robin
occurs on a per-destination basis so the ideal load-balancing is when
you have lots of destinations, all roughly with the same amount of
traffic.

Quote:>I know that it will group interfaces BUT there's a lot of
>ambiguities:

> - what if the system has 3 interfaces and only 2 need to
>   be grouped?

If all three physical interfaces share the same prefix, then all of
them will be grouped.

Quote:> - what if the interfaces are on different networks?

Do you mean if they are in reality not on the same physical network or
that the don't share a common prefix?  In the latter case, they won't
be grouped.

Quote:> - what if there's more than one logical interface per physical
>   interface?

Providing you're either running either

        Solaris 7 or
        Solaris 2.6 with 105787-06 (for i386) or 105786-07 (for sparc)

logical interfaces play no part in interface groups.

Cheers,

dsc

Q: ip:ip_enable_group_ifs

Post by Acacio Cru » Wed, 24 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> >Question: What does the "ip:ip_enable_group_ifs" do PRECISELY?

> It will group *physcial* (not logical) interfaces which share a common
> prefix (namely subnet number and subnetmask).  Traffic to destinations
> (final or intermediate) on that prefix will be routed through each
> interface in the group in a round-robin fashion.  This round-robin
> occurs on a per-destination basis so the ideal load-balancing is when
> you have lots of destinations, all roughly with the same amount of
> traffic.

> > - what if there's more than one logical interface per physical
> >   interface?

> Providing you're either running either

>         Solaris 7 or
>         Solaris 2.6 with 105787-06 (for i386) or 105786-07 (for sparc)

> logical interfaces play no part in interface groups.

Thank you. The best reply, undoubtedly.

Other replies stated that logical interfaces were involved in interface groups.

-Acacio

1. ip_enable_group_ifs

I have a solaris 2.6 server with 3 virtual ip address on the same
phisical interface.

how can I can I configure a solaris machine to exit to my net always
from one specific virtual ip address (not the IP address associated to
nodename)?

I read this on sunsolve:
ip_enable_group_ifs

2.6 parameter that enables ip load balancing over physical interfaces.
see ifconfig 2.6 man page INTERFACE GROUPS " rotate  source address
selection when the source address is unspecified, and in the case of
multiple physical interfaces in the same group, to scatter traffic
across different IP addresses on a per-IP-destination basis.

Default value is 0  (Default =1 before patch 105786-05)

I have that patch installed.
thank you
bye

2. need help with clnt_freeres()

3. Erasing sw - stupid qs

4. mt retension?

5. Two Debian 2.0 Qs

6. UNIX Jobs?

7. Easy Qs for ya

8. How to debug: new HD causes kernel to hang?

9. 2 Qs: How to register and where is _calendar_ or _remind_ ?

10. ARP Qs

11. Qs about "tee"

12. Qs on options parsing

13. Qs: Can't get connected to ISP