Solaris Operating system-online simulation?

Solaris Operating system-online simulation?

Post by vinee » Fri, 21 Nov 2003 20:55:00

Hi All,
  I would like to have access to a Solaris box,preferably solaris 2.4
and later so that I can practise some commands,configure it.Is there a
website or a product on the web where i can practise a simulated
Solaris operating environment?

I don't have access to a separate machine for installing the OS :(

Thanks for help in advance!

Cheerio,
Vineeta

Post by Pro » Fri, 21 Nov 2003 22:17:12

>   I would like to have access to a Solaris box,preferably solaris 2.4
> and later so that I can practise some commands,configure it.Is there a
> website or a product on the web where i can practise a simulated
> Solaris operating environment?
> I don't have access to a separate machine for installing the OS :(
> Thanks for help in advance!

You could install it to your comp. Use boot manager to create separate
partition and boot sequence.

Also there are some Virtual PC software which allow you to run Solaris
"inside" Windows.
Connectix Virtual PC:  www.connectix.com
VMWare Workstation: http://www.vmware.com/

Solaris Operating system-online simulation?

Post by Mark » Sat, 22 Nov 2003 09:42:58

It's always nice if you have a friend with a lab environment who can provide
you with a shell login to a test box :)

While you can't sit at the console, you can always have X11 forwarding over
SSH.

If you're *really* desperate for something to work on (but not at admin
level) then reply to this post with a contact email addy.

Regards

Mark

> >   I would like to have access to a Solaris box,preferably solaris 2.4
> > and later so that I can practise some commands,configure it.Is there a
> > website or a product on the web where i can practise a simulated
> > Solaris operating environment?
> > I don't have access to a separate machine for installing the OS :(
> > Thanks for help in advance!
> You could install it to your comp. Use boot manager to create separate
> partition and boot sequence.

> Also there are some Virtual PC software which allow you to run Solaris
> "inside" Windows.
> Connectix Virtual PC:  www.connectix.com
> VMWare Workstation: http://www.vmware.com/

Solaris Operating system-online simulation?

Post by vinee » Sun, 23 Nov 2003 01:03:36

Hello All,
  Thankyou for your inputs!

I am looking for Solaris simulation.I did visit VMware but not much
luck there.It is for Linux & windwos only.

About connectix,I couldn't connect to it.Guess,some problem with the
site or a spelling-mistake.

Probably,if anybody could give me links for free download of Solaris
for the intel platform...starting Solaris 2.6 or later...

Thanks,
Vineeta

Post by Logan Sha » Sun, 23 Nov 2003 04:07:06

> I am looking for Solaris simulation.I did visit VMware but not much
> luck there.It is for Linux & windwos only.

VMware creates a virtual machine environment.  The VMware software
only runs on Linux and Windows, but that does not mean that the
virtual machine environment that it creates can only run Linux
or Windows.  I don't think that the VMware manufacturer supports
running Solaris in the virtual environment, but that does not mean
it is not possible.  Google for "vmware solaris" for more information.

   - Logan

1. Real operating systems, toy operating systems

You managed to contradict yourself in the span of three sentences.

I see, you're trying to rationalize the OS/2 PPC support by saying it was
really for the hardware, not the software.  Typical wriggling and squirming.

Irrelevant; ongoing support doesn't require a current product offering, and
that was hardware, not software.

2. tty rustling/wrangling? HOW?

3. Is this kill cmd valid?

4. America Online version for Linux Operating System

5. flytraps

6. Upgrading Solaris Operating System Across Slow Phone or ISDN Connection

7. kio_fish and KDE 3

8. Solaris operating system: BSD or Sys. V derivative ?

9. Is solaris a distributed operating system?

10. Oracle Database 10g Release 2 (10.2.0.1.0) for Solaris Operating System (x86-64)

11. Comparison of Linux and Solaris Operating System

12. Certification Operating System Solaris 9