setenv command ?

Post by Graeme Clar » Thu, 26 Sep 2002 13:43:48

I'm trying to run a set of scripts that use the setenv command to set
environment variables ( on Solaris 8 )but they don't seem to get set
properly (not my scripts - given to me by a vendor). I don't know unix very
well at all ( sorry, I'm a Windows boy ). Can someone tell me how to check
what's going on ? Or can I set some manually by editing a file ?

Cheers
Graeme

setenv command ?

Post by malcolm Campbel » Thu, 26 Sep 2002 18:04:57

> I'm trying to run a set of scripts that use the setenv command to set
> environment variables ( on Solaris 8 )but they don't seem to get set
> properly (not my scripts - given to me by a vendor). I don't know unix very
> well at all ( sorry, I'm a Windows boy ). Can someone tell me how to check
> what's going on ? Or can I set some manually by editing a file ?

> Cheers
> Graeme

what env are you trying to set ?

setenv command ?

Post by Tony Walto » Thu, 26 Sep 2002 18:18:22

> I'm trying to run a set of scripts that use the setenv command to set
> environment variables ( on Solaris 8 )but they don't seem to get set
> properly (not my scripts - given to me by a vendor). I don't know unix very
> well at all ( sorry, I'm a Windows boy ). Can someone tell me how to check
> what's going on ? Or can I set some manually by editing a file ?

setenv is a C shell command - are these C shell scripts?  Perhaps your
vendor (who might just possibly be the right person to ask about this,
by the way) assumed you were running C shell and you aren't.

And could you expand a little on what "don't seem to get set properly"
means?

--
Tony Walton

The truth is out there.  The lies are inside your head.

setenv command ?

Post by James H. Caldwel » Fri, 27 Sep 2002 02:39:18

Quote:> I'm trying to run a set of scripts that use the setenv command to set
> environment variables ( on Solaris 8 )but they don't seem to get set
> properly (not my scripts - given to me by a vendor). I don't know unix

very

A quick stab in the dark, but are you trying to get the setenv commands
to set the variables for the shell that you are in so that you can run
another script or application depend on these variables.  If this is the
case, then you need to use "source" to run the script.  Otherwise, the
script starts with its own shell, runs and the variables for that shell are
only set while the script is running or for any scripts that it calls (other
child shells that inherit properties of the parent shell) and when the
script completes, the shell exits leaving you with the same settings as
before.

As mentioned in other posts, good reference books are a must if you
will be starting to use Unix.  There are lots of them out there in varying
degrees of target audiences.

James H. Caldwell

1. setenv command not found (?!)

I try to set some envirnment variables by using

setenv MY_VARIABLE_HERE  /usr/lib/my_variable_directory

and the shell gives me the error message:
"bash: setenv: command not found"

I would really appreciate any response that would help me to solve the
problem.

Thank you.
Ferdi.

--
Ferdinand Badescu
-Development technician-

2. Accessing USB2 Hard Drive

3. setenv command

4. Video walls (multiscreen apps) X/OS2/Windows - your feedback?

5. bash: setenv: command not found

6. where can i get libgcc_s.so.1 and libstdc++.so.5 for solaris 2.9

7. setenv command

8. Panasonic Printers/SCO/Serial I/F

9. setenv command?

10. csh setenv command: calling from shell script

11. SETENV command ?????

12. bash error - "bash: setenv: command not found"

13. linux newbie question about shell setenv command