1. solaris 2.3: good and not so good
Here are my initial experiences with solaris 2.3 - some good and some
not so good!
The installation went pretty smoothly - I did a complete re-install
(using a second hard disk to back up my root disk) and all went well.
On the good side, /kernel/drv/st.conf allows you add 3'rd party drives,
here's my entry for a sony sdt-4000 8G dat tape. It took about 15
minutes to get it all going - including testing ufsdump and ufsrestore -
modunload certainly saves a lot of time over hacking st_conf.c, relinking and
rebooting as in 4.1.
tape-config-list = "SONY SDT-4000", "", "sony_sdt_4000";
sony_sdt_4000 = 1, 0x34, 0, 0x679, 4, 0, 0, 0x8c, 0x8c, 0x8c, 3;
I understand all of this apart from the density values (0x8c) which I
copied from the man page. Any ideas?
Printing - still as broken as ever, the release notes say that sun will
junk the v.4 code in the next release - about time too!
I've managed to get it to work, but for some reason I always get an
error report when printing postscript files! The files print fine, so I
can live with it, but it this clearly a bug. The problem is caused by
postio outputing messages to stdout out, such as ``printer startup'' as it
goes about its business. The standard output of postio (or postcomm or
whatever filter you use) is fed to lp.tell's standard input - these
messages then trick lp.tell into thinking that postio is reporting an
error - it complains to the sysadmin, but meanwhile the file is printed.
Any ideas what's going on - I've applied patch 101317-02, but it made no
Other than that the upgrade went pretty smoothly apart from finger/brain
trouble on my part!
tel: +44 223 566 300 (DSL) United Kingdom CB4 3EN
fax: +44 223 566 301 (DSL)
tel: +44 223 343 307 (Olivetti)
fax: +44 223 313 542 (Olivetti)
2. cross-compiler sparc-solaris -> ix86-win32 ?
3. help with Solaris 2.5 PPP (point me to a good tutorial)
4. How to set up a File Server ?
5. Please Help Recommand a good 100TX NIC for solaris 2.5.1 x86
6. pagination in cygwin bash
7. 4 is good. .00000001% is good.
8. Putrid Elevator Behavior 2.4.18/19
9. good for windows = good for X11?
10. Ping==nfs==good, telnet+others!=good
11. Good Enough to Sleep With but not Good Enough to Marry?
12. WinLinux2001 - Good for newbies? Good at all?
13. Not a good read (Was RE:A good read)