Solaris 10 (build 63) upgrade fails on Solaris 8 as well as Solaris 9 sparcs

Solaris 10 (build 63) upgrade fails on Solaris 8 as well as Solaris 9 sparcs

Post by Sandeep Bhangu » Thu, 21 Oct 2004 00:47:50

Hello
         Using the Solaris 10 build 63 for sparc.

Tried to do upgrades on the following two machines.

1. E4500  Solaris 8 (117350-11 Kernel level)
    Entire Distribution OEM support cluster, OBP 3.2.30.

2. Ultra 2  Solaris 9 Entire Distribution and OEM support cluster.

On both machines the upgrade starts when I put the CD 1 and and reaches to
the point where I have to select whether I want to do "Initial Install" or
"Upgrade".

When I check upgrade it starts initializing the system and halfway through I
get the follwoing error

"Could not reinitialize the system state".

At which point I have no option but to click OK on the error and exit out of
the install process.

Has anyone seen this can anyone provide any tips or pointers.?????

Thanks
Sandeep

Solaris 10 (build 63) upgrade fails on Solaris 8 as well as Solaris 9 sparcs

Post by Andrew Gabri » Thu, 21 Oct 2004 05:48:51

Quote:> Hello
>          Using the Solaris 10 build 63 for sparc.

> Tried to do upgrades on the following two machines.

> 1. E4500  Solaris 8 (117350-11 Kernel level)
>     Entire Distribution OEM support cluster, OBP 3.2.30.

> 2. Ultra 2  Solaris 9 Entire Distribution and OEM support cluster.

> On both machines the upgrade starts when I put the CD 1 and and reaches to
> the point where I have to select whether I want to do "Initial Install" or
> "Upgrade".

> When I check upgrade it starts initializing the system and halfway through I
> get the follwoing error

> "Could not reinitialize the system state".

> At which point I have no option but to click OK on the error and exit out of
> the install process.

> Has anyone seen this can anyone provide any tips or pointers.?????

Check there is nothing strange about the filesystem mounts that
system would normally do, like following symlinks to mountpoints
or something like that. It looks like it can happen when it fails
to unmount a filesystem it previously mounted.  You might want to
check what's left mounted after it fails.
Also check the installation log.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Consultant Software Engineer

1. solaris 10 build 63 and lofiadm

Based on the discussion here:
http://sunsolve.sun.com/pub-cgi/retrieve.pl?doc=fsrdb%2F50566

does the following logic work:

(a) The size and starting location of slice 1 on the 1st disk of 10
build 63 is still at offset 452 decimal in the vtoc.

Thus, I get the following:

0000000 0000000691 0000824960
0000010

which implies that slice 1 starts at block 691 and is 824960 blocks long.

The reason that I ask is that after using those calculations (and
creating a jumpstart server),  I used Live Upgrade to install 10_63 onto
  an inactive boot environment and found two interesting occurrences.  I
found that one package (SUNWmpatchmgr) did not install correctly during
the operation of luupgrade.  I also found that no user or role would
authenticate correctly to any of the smc suite of tools even though I
know the passwords are correct.

Any ideas?

Coy Hile

2. asclock to panel possible?

3. Solaris 10 1/06 OK, but Solaris Express Build 33 and 36 fail

4. linux networking

5. Solaris 10 -- Where to get gcc (or other compiler) built on Solaris 10?

6. LILO Problems

7. Live upgrade failure: Solaris 10 -> Solaris 10 update 1.

8. Linux Questions (grab-bag)

9. Cross Compiler for Solaris 10 x86 on Solaris 8 Sparc.

10. Jumpstart Solaris 8 vs. Solaris 10 (sparc)

11. Solaris 10, built new disk, now cannot boot off solaris 8 disk???

12. upgrade solaris 9 -> solaris 10 with jumpstart: insufficient space

13. upgrade my Ultra 30 from Solaris 9 to Solaris 10