gzip pipe to cpio...random links renamed

gzip pipe to cpio...random links renamed

Post by cpg » Wed, 21 Dec 2005 12:38:48

I have a gzipped cpio archive that is fairly large (5ish Gb
uncompressed).  The problem I experience is
with the command gzip -dc | cpio -imutvB (I believe this is the
command...it is the converse of how the file was created), I will get a
different verbose output than if I go from gzip to an on disk file and
then input that file into cpio.
The difference occurs with a few files and they are all symbolic links
(out of thousands of symbolic links total)...maybe about 3.  The form
of the corruption is a changed target filename as such:
             /export/home/xaSame  -> /home/errata/xaSat  (should be
/home/errata/xaSame)

The other form of corruption occurs in the form of:
             /export/home/xaSameLong  -> /home/errata/xaSamemmmm
(should be xaSameLong)

I've tried this on Solaris 2.6 and Solaris 9 and get the same effect.
gzip version was 1.3.5.
It also appears that there is a 50/50 chance of this happening but when
it does it is consistent about which files this occurs to. ls -lisa
doesn't show anything abnormal.

Has anybody else experienced this? Any ideas?

1. dump pipe gzip pipe ssh pipe dd... blocksize?

Here's the command I'm planning to use for dumping across a network:

dump -0u -B 8000000 -f - /dev/sd0a | gzip | ssh host 'dd obs=32k of=/dev/nrst0'

Notice I define a blocksize on the dd command, but I haven't defined one
anywhere else. This was after a write failuer with no block size set on a
big backup. Someone suggested setting the block size miught help. I'm not
too sure what the ramifications of this are. Is it a Bad Thing to mix the
block size? I don't believe gzip gives you an option for setting block
size. Should I worry? A couple of test backups and retores seemed to work
okay.

Thanks,
jon

2. pppd problem

3. Unarchiving with cpio & gzip

4. PCI Modem configuration headache

5. Broken pipe with tar/gzip

6. Contributions (was Re: Tired of X11???)

7. Apache Gzip Log Pipe Creates Empty File

8. C & C++ Quality and Metrics Tool Free Trial

9. Broken pipe with zcat, gzip, gunzip of some files

10. Q: on-the-fly gzip for a process that wont accept pipes

11. Q: pipe files to gzip before tar

12. how can rename the file name to what get from pipe?

13. tar/cpio data read from pipe?