Problems setting up the second network interface for dedicated communications

Problems setting up the second network interface for dedicated communications

Post by b1sp » Fri, 07 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

first some info on the Environment:    OS: Solaris 2.6
                                                        HW: SUN E3500, two
Boards

I want to setup the networking in the way to use interface hme1 for
communication with dedicated Servers.
Default Solaris settings use the first interface hme0 for communication even
if I start a Telnet-Session to the IP-Adress of the second interface hme1. A
snoop at hme1 couldnt catch any packets. A snoop at hme0 presented that all
communication was running over hme0.
The goal is to setup the interfaces in that way, that hme0 takes the main
produktion traffic and hme1 takes the traffic needed for replication and
backup.

Nice Problem, isnt it?

Thanks,

Burkhardt

Post by Niels de Troy » Sat, 08 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,

> first some info on the Environment:    OS: Solaris 2.6
>                                                         HW: SUN E3500, two
> Boards

> I want to setup the networking in the way to use interface hme1 for
> communication with dedicated Servers.
> Default Solaris settings use the first interface hme0 for communication even
> if I start a Telnet-Session to the IP-Adress of the second interface hme1. A
> snoop at hme1 couldnt catch any packets. A snoop at hme0 presented that all
> communication was running over hme0.
> The goal is to setup the interfaces in that way, that hme0 takes the main
> produktion traffic and hme1 takes the traffic needed for replication and
> backup.

> Nice Problem, isnt it?

> Thanks,

> Burkhardt

If you put the second interface in a different subnet, you should be ok.
If that is possible in your situation of course.

Niels de Troye
Sysman Automatisering B.V. / Sysman Software B.V.
Tel: +31-20-441 85 85

Looking for a web-based graphical performance tool?

   http://www.sysman.nl/perfgraph

Problems setting up the second network interface for dedicated communications

Post by Chris Kohari » Sat, 08 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi,

> first some info on the Environment:    OS: Solaris 2.6
>                                                         HW: SUN E3500, two
> Boards

> I want to setup the networking in the way to use interface hme1 for
> communication with dedicated Servers.
> Default Solaris settings use the first interface hme0 for communication
even
> if I start a Telnet-Session to the IP-Adress of the second interface hme1.
> snoop at hme1 couldnt catch any packets. A snoop at hme0 presented that
all
> communication was running over hme0.
> The goal is to setup the interfaces in that way, that hme0 takes the main
> produktion traffic and hme1 takes the traffic needed for replication and
> backup.

Are both interfaces connecting to same network?

-Chris

Post by b1sp » Tue, 11 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> Are both interfaces connecting to same network?

> -Chris

Yes, both interfaces are connected to the same network and actually it is
not planned to change the network environment. Is there any other way to
configure hme1 than building a Point to Point Route on hme1 for ADSM?

Burkhardt

1. How do masquerade and set up firewall on two network interfaces?

I have two network interfaces into our LAN.  On one interface, there are
no TCP/UDP port restrictions whatsoever.  However, on another interface,
I would like to limit the number of connecting ports to about 3 or 4.

I can set up a default policy for ipfwadm input rules to deny all or
accept all.  Will I then have to DISABLE ALL but those 3-4 ports on one
interface or ENABLE ALL ports on the other interface?

How do I do this on one machine?

Thanks...

--
J. S. Jensen

http://www.paramin.com

2. Observation regarding Linux/FreeBSD

3. Two Network interface with the same network

4. Cursor problem with GeForce256

5. How to set my Linux machine to have two network cards with two IPs

6. Q: gdb remote debug

7. Problem using Exceed with Two Network Interface cards on Solaris 2.6 M/C's

8. How Do I Install a Package?

9. Network problems with two interfaces

10. Two network interfaces problem

11. iptables problem (two network interfaces)

12. set network interface to promiscous mode set with ioctl

13. communication with two networks...