NFS and system hangs

Post by Chris Gent » Thu, 08 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Is there a way to keep my systems from* when a NFS server goes
down?  Let me see if I can explain my problem.  I have a SPARC 20 running
Solaris 2.5 and a SPARC IPX running SunOS 4.1.1.  The IPX exports directories
that are mounted on the SPARC 20.  I'm trying to reboot the IPX and while
it's in single user mode perform a dump of the filesystems to a tape drive
on the SPARC 20.  However, the SPARC 20 is hung up because the NFS server
has gone down and will not allow data from the dump to go to the tapedrive.
I've tried putting 'bg' in the vfstab file to force background mounting
but I get the same results.  Any ideas?

Thanks.

 Chris Gentle                           | Software Engineer/Sys Admin

 ---------------------------------------| IFTE Laboratory
 Telephone:  (205) 876-5570             | Redstone Arsenal
 Hours Available:  8:00am - 4:30pm CST  | Huntsville, Alabama

NFS and system hangs

Post by Steve Connoll » Fri, 09 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> Is there a way to keep my systems from* when a NFS server goes
> down?  Let me see if I can explain my problem.  I have a SPARC 20 running
> Solaris 2.5 and a SPARC IPX running SunOS 4.1.1.  The IPX exports directories
> that are mounted on the SPARC 20.  I'm trying to reboot the IPX and while
> it's in single user mode perform a dump of the filesystems to a tape drive
> on the SPARC 20.  However, the SPARC 20 is hung up because the NFS server
> has gone down and will not allow data from the dump to go to the tapedrive.
> I've tried putting 'bg' in the vfstab file to force background mounting
> but I get the same results.  Any ideas?

> Thanks.

> ------------------------------------------------------------------------->  Chris Gentle                           | Software Engineer/Sys Admin

>  ---------------------------------------| IFTE Laboratory
>  Telephone:  (205) 876-5570             | Redstone Arsenal
>  Hours Available:  8:00am - 4:30pm CST  | Huntsville, Alabama

I've had something simular to this and I think it was something to do
with them being 'hard' mounted (ie. mount -F nfs -o hard etc etc), if
the directory is hard mounted then it continues to retry the request
until it gets a response, when they are soft mounted a unsuccessful
request will result in an error but no retry.  Good luck.

Steve.

NFS and system hangs

Post by Brian D. Steve » Fri, 09 Aug 1996 04:00:00

: Is there a way to keep my systems from* when a NFS server goes
: down?  Let me see if I can explain my problem.  I have a SPARC 20 running
: Solaris 2.5 and a SPARC IPX running SunOS 4.1.1.  The IPX exports directories
: that are mounted on the SPARC 20.  I'm trying to reboot the IPX and while
: it's in single user mode perform a dump of the filesystems to a tape drive
: on the SPARC 20.  However, the SPARC 20 is hung up because the NFS server

Whoa, you have the IPX in singeluser, yet you're trying to dump to a remote
tape over the network.  Hmmmm - what's wrong with this picture....

The views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those of Hughes Aircraft Co.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian D. Stevens

Hughes Information Technology Systems

1. nfs hung after system crash -what to do?

We have 4 linux servers sharing data via nfs mounts. Yesterday on system
crashed badly (possibly a hardware fault). The immediate problem was to
get the other 3 functioning properly. The trouble was they all hung after
any command involving NFS (such as an ls on the directory that contains
the mount points). Such hangs could not be interupted. Opening a new
terminal and issuing an umount command for the 'lost' mounts did not work
either - again an uniteruptable hang. Variations of kill on the hung
processes did not work. I believe this is a feature of nfs. Even normal
rebooting could not take place: that's right, unable to umount nfs drives!
(hence shutdown hanging).

The only thing that worked was editing the drives from the down machine
out of fstab, issuing the command sync (for what is was worth) and then
pressing the reset button. Everything came up fine (that is for the 3
machines still alive)- but surely there is a more elegant way of removing
dead mounts?

Elliot

2. HELP! filesystem lossage

3. Reboot- NFS mounts hang system

4. unresolved symbols

5. Why do stale NFS file handles seem to hang systems?

6. Installed Linux Slackware from book, can not use ADDUSER

7. NFS, lockd error messages and system hang

8. file read problem

9. running emacs via nfs hung system?

10. system hangs when starting NFS lockd

11. nfs hangs when remote system goes down

12. 101945-29 (was: NFS writes to a full disk hang the systems (Solaris 2))

13. system hangs after /sbin/mountall -F nfs