Solaris 8 syslogd - remote logging

Post by Spank » Fri, 19 Aug 2005 19:01:00

hi all,

I have 2 servers - hostA and hostB. host A sends a COPY of its system
messages to hostB, as configured in the syslog.conf. hostB receives the
messages from hostA and places them into its /var/adm/messages file
(along with its own messages of course). Easy so far.

But, on hostB, I would like to redirect incoming messages from hostA to
a different file, say /var/adm/messaes_hostA for example.

I know the idea of a logging server is to have a centralised repository
for logs, but my needs are slightly different. I have read a lot about
this, but there seems to be no clear answer. It seems it is possible on
FreeBSD, but does anybody know if this is possible using the standard
syslogd / syslog.conf on Solaris?

Thansk a lot

Grant

Post by Ade Fewing » Sat, 20 Aug 2005 02:34:17

> hi all,

> I have 2 servers - hostA and hostB. host A sends a COPY of its system
> messages to hostB, as configured in the syslog.conf. hostB receives the
> messages from hostA and places them into its /var/adm/messages file
> (along with its own messages of course). Easy so far.

> But, on hostB, I would like to redirect incoming messages from hostA to
> a different file, say /var/adm/messaes_hostA for example.

> I know the idea of a logging server is to have a centralised repository
> for logs, but my needs are slightly different. I have read a lot about
> this, but there seems to be no clear answer. It seems it is possible on
> FreeBSD, but does anybody know if this is possible using the standard
> syslogd / syslog.conf on Solaris?

Don't think so.  You could have a script that tail's messages and
extracts stuff to another file, but thats a crude and inefficient method.

Your best bet is probably to look at a syslogd replacement such as
syslog-ng.

Ade