Trying to solve problem with Solaris GNOME metacity state

Trying to solve problem with Solaris GNOME metacity state

Post by lvir.. » Sat, 15 Nov 2003 03:41:44

I've some users working with a couple of pretty complex GUI applications.
These were developed against the OpenWindows OLIT toolkit.

They work pretty well under GNOME/metacity. However, in certain cases,
it appears that something - either metacity, or the applications, or
perhaps something else in the users' environment, is creating a state
where one cannot get metacity to open any new menus or launch new applications.
However, one can use keyboard conventions to shift keyboard focus and
the mouse can be used in a limited fashion to switch workspaces.

If metacity is restarted, the strange state disappears and the user
desktop again can be used to launch applications, open menus, etc.

I am searching for tips on how to go about determining where the problem
resides and what to do about it.  Is anyone aware of any applications that
could be used against the server and/or window manager to determine what
state they are in?
--

Trying to solve problem with Solaris GNOME metacity state

Post by Barbie LeVil » Sat, 15 Nov 2003 08:52:21

On 13 Nov 2003 18:41:44 GMT

> I've some users working with a couple of pretty complex GUI applications.
> These were developed against the OpenWindows OLIT toolkit.

> They work pretty well under GNOME/metacity. However, in certain cases,
> it appears that something - either metacity, or the applications, or
> perhaps something else in the users' environment, is creating a state
> where one cannot get metacity to open any new menus or launch new
> applications. However, one can use keyboard conventions to shift keyboard
> focus and the mouse can be used in a limited fashion to switch workspaces.

hrmm, sound you run into a X clients limit.

Try this:
in the /etc/dt/config/Xservers

1024

--
Barbie - Prayers are like junkmail for Jesus

I have seen things you lusers would not believe.
I've seen Sun monitors on fire off the side of the multimedia lab.
I've seen NTU lights glitter in the dark near the Mail Gate.
All these things will be lost in time, like the root partition last week.
Time to die.

1. ISO: Help solving sun solaris gnome problem with fonts

A user contacted me about a rather peculiar problem. He is using sparc
solaris 8, with sun's gnome.  When he starts up dtmail (and a few other
apps), the font used is larger than the fonts being used by xterm, etc.

He cannot find anything in his environment that would set the fonts for
dtmail, eclipse, etc. but leave his xterms, etc. alone.

In fact, eclipse is really strange - one of its windows uses the font
he wishes to use (and that show up in xterm), while the rest of the
eclipse windows use the same font as dtmail.

So, I googled this newsgroup's archives, and found lots of people
asking, but few if any real answers to the question "how does one go
about changing the font being used by dtmail".

Has anyone out there ever solved this problem?

2. Does driver for #9 Imagine 128 exist?

3. Gnome 2.0 FCS metacity wireframe resize/drag

4. Hex Editor

5. Gnome hangs on startup due to missing saved metacity session

6. 1024x768 on Sattelite Pro 460CDT?

7. Enabling Gnome/Metacity Double-click on titlebar-->Maximize

8. interface inconsistancy between ipv4 and ipv6

9. try and solve this pppd problem

10. Are KDE or Gnome worth trying on Solaris?

11. Solved: trying to get Compaq QVISION card and mouse working (was NEC 4FGe problem)

12. unwanted window grab in metacity on Solaris 10/JDS

13. locale problem at gnome -- how to solve?