solaris8

solaris8

Post by dhrub » Wed, 02 Aug 2000 04:00:00



Hi all,

I have confusion

on solaris 8 do I need to mount CD or it will be auto mounted?

actually for oracle installation I need to mount the installation
CD as root and then run the installer as user ORACLE.

2... ferquently I am getting this message,

Aug  1 16:05:47 panther sendmail[1441]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): dbm
map "Alias0":
unsafe map file /etc/mail/aliases

any help will be highly appreciated .

Thanks
RCY

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

solaris8

Post by Logan Sh » Wed, 02 Aug 2000 04:00:00



>on solaris 8 do I need to mount CD or it will be auto mounted?

Unless you have changed the default configuration, all you need to do
is insert the CD-ROM into the drive.  Then, have a look at the
directory /cdrom -- it should contain a link to the CD-ROM's filesystem
as mounted by the volume management software.  It will sometimes take
something like 30 seconds for this to happen, though.

There are a couple of commands that are really useful in conjunction
with the volume manager, by the way.  "volcheck" tells the volume
manager to check for new media right now, and "eject" tells the volume
manager to unmount and eject a medium.  You might want to look at the
manual pages and investigate the "-v" switch for "volcheck" and the
"-d" switch for "eject".

Quote:>2... ferquently I am getting this message,

>Aug  1 16:05:47 panther sendmail[1441]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): dbm
>map "Alias0":
>unsafe map file /etc/mail/aliases

I'm no sendmail wizard, but I believe this means that /etc/mail/aliases
has improper permissions.  You might want to do this:

        ls -ld / /etc /etc/mail /etc/mail/aliases

and look at all these permissions to make sure users other than root
can't write to the file or the directories that (directly or
indirectly) contain it.

  - Logan

 
 
 

solaris8

Post by dhrub » Fri, 04 Aug 2000 04:00:00


Hi,

I have inserted cd in the cdrom device
but I failed to mount it
volcheck -v     says no media was found
eject cdrom   says inappropriate ioctl for device

I am stucked

Rcy





> >on solaris 8 do I need to mount CD or it will be auto mounted?

> Unless you have changed the default configuration, all you need to do
> is insert the CD-ROM into the drive.  Then, have a look at the
> directory /cdrom -- it should contain a link to the CD-ROM's
filesystem
> as mounted by the volume management software.  It will sometimes take
> something like 30 seconds for this to happen, though.

> There are a couple of commands that are really useful in conjunction
> with the volume manager, by the way.  "volcheck" tells the volume
> manager to check for new media right now, and "eject" tells the volume
> manager to unmount and eject a medium.  You might want to look at the
> manual pages and investigate the "-v" switch for "volcheck" and the
> "-d" switch for "eject".

> >2... ferquently I am getting this message,

> >Aug  1 16:05:47 panther sendmail[1441]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): dbm
> >map "Alias0":
> >unsafe map file /etc/mail/aliases

> I'm no sendmail wizard, but I believe this means

that /etc/mail/aliases

Quote:> has improper permissions.  You might want to do this:

>    ls -ld / /etc /etc/mail /etc/mail/aliases

> and look at all these permissions to make sure users other than root
> can't write to the file or the directories that (directly or
> indirectly) contain it.

>   - Logan

--
rcy

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

solaris8

Post by Fredrik Lundho » Wed, 09 Aug 2000 04:00:00



>Hi,

>I have inserted cd in the cdrom device
>but I failed to mount it
>volcheck -v     says no media was found
>eject cdrom   says inappropriate ioctl for device

>I am stucked

The CD must be of recognizable format. I've discovered a bug in Solaris 8
MU1 (or 6/00) where vold won't recognize Rock-Ridge/Joliet CD's that Solaris
8 (plain) or Solaris 7 automounts without problems.

To confirm that solaris 8 MU1 is broken, kill vold and mount the cd manually.
It worked for me.

as root
'pkill vold'
or
' /etc/init.d/volmgt stop'

and:

'mount -F hsfs -o ro /dev/dsk/c0t6d0s0 /cdrom'

if this mounts your cd, you've discovered the same vold bug I did.
If not, the CD is not recognized at all by solaris.

>Rcy





>> >on solaris 8 do I need to mount CD or it will be auto mounted?

>> Unless you have changed the default configuration, all you need to do
>> is insert the CD-ROM into the drive.  Then, have a look at the
>> directory /cdrom -- it should contain a link to the CD-ROM's
>filesystem
>> as mounted by the volume management software.  It will sometimes take
>> something like 30 seconds for this to happen, though.

>> There are a couple of commands that are really useful in conjunction
>> with the volume manager, by the way.  "volcheck" tells the volume
>> manager to check for new media right now, and "eject" tells the volume
>> manager to unmount and eject a medium.  You might want to look at the
>> manual pages and investigate the "-v" switch for "volcheck" and the
>> "-d" switch for "eject".

>> >2... ferquently I am getting this message,

>> >Aug  1 16:05:47 panther sendmail[1441]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): dbm
>> >map "Alias0":
>> >unsafe map file /etc/mail/aliases

>> I'm no sendmail wizard, but I believe this means
>that /etc/mail/aliases
>> has improper permissions.  You might want to do this:

>>        ls -ld / /etc /etc/mail /etc/mail/aliases

>> and look at all these permissions to make sure users other than root
>> can't write to the file or the directories that (directly or
>> indirectly) contain it.

>>   - Logan

>--
>rcy

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

 
 
 

1. C++ app built on Solaris8 Generic_108528-07 crashes on Solaris8 Generic_108528-07

Hello Guys,

Our application was built on Solaris8 Generic_108528-07
SUNW,Sun-Blade-100. When the application is run on Solaris 8
Generic_117350-01 SUNW,Netra-T12 it crushes randomly and the core file
turns out to be ureadable:

dbx: corefile corrupted or produced on a different version of Solaris.
Ignoring.

Does anyone have a clue of what is going on? Can an application built
on "Generic_108528-07 SUNW,Sun-Blade-100" version of Solaris8 be run
on "Generic_117350-01 SUNW,Netra-T12" version?

Thanks,
Alona

2. Font problems with Netscape?

3. Solaris8 x86 installation problem

4. dhcpagent problem

5. CDROM drive not read Solaris8 CD

6. Mystique: X with low-res?

7. Solaris8 Install

8. Setting group and other write permissions.

9. trouble installing Solaris8

10. XFree86 and USB mouse on Solaris8 x86?

11. can the gcc bin file for solaris8 used in the solaris 7???

12. Voodoo3 on Solaris8

13. Solaris8 terminal newbie