Debugging using structured proc implementation

Debugging using structured proc implementation

Post by Be » Fri, 01 Nov 2002 23:48:18

Hi, I am trying to write a debugging program using Solaris structured
proc implementation (as opposed to ioctl). I have read the proc(4) man
pages. Wonders if there are any other tutorials, articles, web pages
or sample codes that I can reference? In particular, I would like to
find out more on how to write to the /proc/<pid>/ctl file to control
the program flow. Currently, I am only able to stop the program using
PCSTOP.

Thanks

Debugging using structured proc implementation

Post by Be » Wed, 06 Nov 2002 22:33:03

Perhaps I should rephase the question. Anybody knows how to write a
program that performs single stepping debugging by making use of
Solaris structured proc implementation? Please provides some pointers.

Thanks in advance

Post by Roger A. Faulkn » Tue, 12 Nov 2002 11:02:47

>Hi, I am trying to write a debugging program using Solaris structured
>proc implementation (as opposed to ioctl). I have read the proc(4) man
>pages. Wonders if there are any other tutorials, articles, web pages
>or sample codes that I can reference? In particular, I would like to
>find out more on how to write to the /proc/<pid>/ctl file to control
>the program flow. Currently, I am only able to stop the program using
>PCSTOP.

You would be well served by getting the source code
for the gdb de*, the version than runs on Solaris.
It does all the fancy footwork that a de* has to do,
using the structured proc implementation on Solaris.

Sorry, I don't have a web page for you off the top of my head.

Roger Faulkner

1. Shared Memory using the proc/ structure.

Hi All :
        If a process spawns a child, is it possible for them to communicate using the /proc structure?. Instead of opening up a socket for communication I am trying to use shared memory to do the same and was wondering if /proc could be used to that effect. It it is not possible, then how do I generate a shared memory structure?.
        Your help will be much appreciated.

        -Laxman

2. Problem adding PC100 DIMM to my system

3. cpufreq: /proc/sys/cpu and /proc/cpufreq can be used simultaneously

4. OS emulation under Linux or BSD 68K

5. Packed structures and implementation

6. Q: Latest word on Iomega Ditto drivers...

7. Parse /proc/xxx or are there direct kernel structures?

8. -ac6 mis-reports cpu clock

9. Where is the proc structure of the Linux?

10. ?: argv not in the proc structure

11. proc structure

12. OS5: Change to 'proc' structure breaks u386mon

13. /proc implementation/efficiency