DiskSuite hot spare trouble

Post by Naeem Bar » Wed, 08 Jan 1997 04:00:00

We have the following configuration on our news machine:

Sparc5/Solaris 2.5.1
256MB RAM
A 5 disk RAID metadevice with a one-disk hot spare pool associated with
it.

Here is the problem. One of the RAID disks went south, but the hsp didn't
kick in.

Any ideas? The 5 RAID components are all 9GB disks, and I am using 8.1GB
partitions on all of them. The hsp is one 9GB disk, and the partition I am
using is slightly larger than all the disks in the RAID.

One thing I should mention is that the RAID components do not have
identical geometry. But that should only affect filesystem performance,
and not cause hsp problems.

Any input will be appreciated. Please cc to my email address

TIA,
naeem

Naeem Bari                      Tel: (314) 935-4865
Software/Network Engineer       Fax: (314) 935-7142

Washington U. in St. Louis      http://rusty.wustl.edu/~naeem/

1. Disksuite - Removing a Hot spare

How do you go about removing a hot spare which is in use ?
i.e. Disassociating it from the submirror that it is now
part of.

I basically want to return the disk to it's associated Hot Spare
pool, detach the submirror it was part of, and then build a new
submirror from some spare disks.

N.B. I don't want to use the spare disks as Hot spares.

Thanks a lot.

2. help: how to fix partition table?

3. DiskSuite + Hot Spare

4. Questions about task, thread, and tss _struct

5. Hot spare when both submirrors fails (DiskSuite 4.2)?

6. Help: with select(2) to detect pending stdin

7. DiskSuite Hot Spares and Filesystem Layout

8. Command Line SSA link verification script

9. Can hot spare be added after metadevices were created ?

10. Veritas Mirroring (Hot Spare Problems)

11. hot spare system

12. adding a hot spare to a RAID5 device...

13. VRTS Hot relocation/sparing.