howto change root password on solaris 9 on sparc without CDROM?

howto change root password on solaris 9 on sparc without CDROM?

Post by George Wrigh » Wed, 14 Jul 2004 04:09:34

Hi all

I've ended up with a Sun Ultra running sol 9 that I don't know (and can't
get) the root password for

It doesn't have a CD drive, does have a floppy and a working (ish) network
and (fully working) serial connection. I have physical access, but no
keyboard or mouse

Serial connection works fine. I've tried sending BREAK, interrupting the
bootup and dropping to single user mode (the way I'd get round this
problem on other unix-alikes) but with no joy - it asks me for root
password before continuing

Everything I've found via google tells me that to change root password
one must boot from CDROM

Before I investigate the cost of in-/ex-ternal CD drives, is there a way
to change the password via the floppy, OpenBoot, or network? I'm currently
having weird thoughts about putting the drive in another box, mounting it
and then editing the relevant files directly.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Regards

George

Post by Rich Tee » Wed, 14 Jul 2004 04:18:53

> Serial connection works fine. I've tried sending BREAK, interrupting the
> bootup and dropping to single user mode (the way I'd get round this
> problem on other unix-alikes) but with no joy - it asks me for root
> password before continuing

That's a good thing, from a security perspective!

Quote:> Before I investigate the cost of in-/ex-ternal CD drives, is there a way
> to change the password via the floppy, OpenBoot, or network? I'm currently
> having weird thoughts about putting the drive in another box, mounting it
> and then editing the relevant files directly.

That should work, provided the other system can read Solaris
UFS file systems.

Quote:> Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Buy a CD-ROM drive.  They're pretty cheap, and you never know when
your going to NEED to boot from CD-ROM...

--
Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

Post by Casper H.S. Di » Wed, 14 Jul 2004 04:26:45

>Everything I've found via google tells me that to change root password
>one must boot from CDROM

Or the network; if you can setup a Solaris install server and then
"boot net -s" to get single user of the install server.

Quote:>Before I investigate the cost of in-/ex-ternal CD drives, is there a way
>to change the password via the floppy, OpenBoot, or network? I'm currently
>having weird thoughts about putting the drive in another box, mounting it
>and then editing the relevant files directly.

Works too.

Quote:>Does anyone have any other suggestions?

How long was the system unpatched?  Then you can go and look for
missing security patches (if you can login).

If you use a network name service on the box, at a uid=0 account
in the nameservice.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

1. HOWTO change password without user-interaction

hi

I want to change a password of an account without user-interaction, if
possible in C.

a command like that:  changepassword -u user -p password

With the system-command passwd , the user has to type the password manually.
I tried to resolve it with 'expect', but I don't like it very much.
Are there better solutions??

thank you, for your help!

Marcel

2. Xconfig for Cirrus 5430 (Actix ProSTAR 64 PCI)

3. changing passwords without root permission

4. cvsup problem

5. Development of SONY CDU-33A driver?

6. How can somebody change root password without privileges?

7. Q: Can SCO OS5 be booted from the partition manager boot manager ?

8. HOWTO fix "no shell" for root on Solaris 2.6/Sparc

9. How to reset password of root account on Sparc Solaris 2.6

10. how-to shutdown Solaris 2.5.1 without root password

11. Tools to change password without ask new password twice time.

12. Help - Solaris 8 SPARC install crashed on root password update