"watchdog reset" crash

Post by Ben Runni » Sat, 19 Jun 1999 04:00:00

hi. i have a sparc 5 that crashed on install while booted off solaris
7 cd with a 'watchdog reset' error.

the system seemed fine on reboot, but i was kind of curious as to what
this error means.. any ideas?

thanks

ben

"watchdog reset" crash

Post by Andrew L. Garma » Sat, 19 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> hi. i have a sparc 5 that crashed on install while booted off solaris
> 7 cd with a 'watchdog reset' error.
> the system seemed fine on reboot, but i was kind of curious as to what
> this error means.. any ideas?

Generally a watchdog reset is due to hardware failure.  The hardware
problem can be intermittent or persistent, but it's worth keeping in mind.

Regards,

Andrew Garman
Goliath Networks, inc.

"watchdog reset" crash

Post by Brian Novac » Sun, 20 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> hi. i have a sparc 5 that crashed on install while booted off solaris
> 7 cd with a 'watchdog reset' error.

> the system seemed fine on reboot, but i was kind of curious as to what
> this error means.. any ideas?

> thanks

> ben

Make sure your memory is firmly seated in their slots...

Also, from the hardware ok prompt, try test-memory or test memory...I
forget the syntax.

Was there any additional diagnostic output when the reset occured?

---Brian

"watchdog reset" crash

Post by Adnan Klancevi » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Most likely hardware-related.

If it persists enable crash dumps in /etc/init.d/sysetup and try to
determine the problem from there.  I think there is a tool somewhere on
sunsite to help you analyse these dumps.

Regards,

AK.