xscreensaver not working

Post by Griff Miller I » Fri, 24 Jan 2003 05:47:33

On a SPARCStation 20 with Solaris 8 02/02, SX framebuffer and latest recommended
patches, when xscreensaver tries to start a screensaver (or "hack" as the
manpage calls them, e.g. qix) it instead prints errors, which go something
like:

DPMSInfo returned state onoff=0 and state=0
Dude, DPMSInfo in if of onoff=0
X says monitor has powered down; not launching a hack.

It seems to be bothered by the fact that power management in the X server
is off, but the X server says the monitor is off? Has anyone seen this,
and/or can suggest a fix/workaround?

Oh, this is Gnome 2 Beta 3 freshly installed (i.e. not an upgrade from a
previous version of Gnome) .

--
Griff Miller II                   |                                           |
Manager of Information Technology | For every problem, there is a solution    |

xscreensaver not working

Post by Alan Coopersmit » Fri, 24 Jan 2003 07:27:36

|On a SPARCStation 20 with Solaris 8 02/02, SX framebuffer and latest recommended
|patches, when xscreensaver tries to start a screensaver (or "hack" as the
|manpage calls them, e.g. qix) it instead prints errors, which go something
|like:
|
|DPMSInfo returned state onoff=0 and state=0
|Dude, DPMSInfo in if of onoff=0
|X says monitor has powered down; not launching a hack.
|
|It seems to be bothered by the fact that power management in the X server
|is off, but the X server says the monitor is off? Has anyone seen this,
|and/or can suggest a fix/workaround?
|
|Oh, this is Gnome 2 Beta 3 freshly installed (i.e. not an upgrade from a
|previous version of Gnome) .

If I remember correctly, that's the version with the known bug that
xscreensaver will never display "hacks" on machines without dpms.  It's
fixed in the latest builds, so should work when GNOME 2.0 FCS is
released.

xscreensaver not working

Post by Griff Mill » Sun, 26 Jan 2003 00:09:10

> If I remember correctly, that's the version with the known bug that
> xscreensaver will never display "hacks" on machines without dpms.  It's
> fixed in the latest builds, so should work when GNOME 2.0 FCS is
> released.

OK, thanks, Alan!

Griff

1. xscreensaver not working

This is not a problem, it is the intended behavior. You launch
xscreensaver, and it monitors your inputs to tell if you're not
doing anything. If you haven't done anything for "n" minutes,
then it will lock/blank/save the screen. To lock it manually,
launch xscreensaver in the background ("xscreensaver &" with bash
-- no quotes), and then type the following "xscreensaver-command
-lock" to lock it, or "xscreensaver-command -activate" to simply
blank/save the screen. All this is in the man pages for
xscreensaver and xscreensaver-command. You must be running as a
user (i.e. not root) for the lock option to work.

    Jim Cape
    http://www.jcinteractive.com

    "All animals are equal, some animals
     are more equal than others."
         -- George Orwell, Animal Farm

2. dhcp help

3. xscreensaver 3d demos not working with nvidia ti4200

4. Sharing swap-file (Linux/Windows) corrupting second FAT.

5. XScreenSaver doesn't work

6. AIC-6360 s1392 VLB ???VLB SCSI

7. Making Xscreensaver work with XDM -- How ?

8. Exiting rz when upload aborts?

9. xscreensaver not running as root

10. Kernel-nfs working, plain nfs not working.

11. USB not working with 2.5.69, worked with .68

12. PPP working, /etc/ppp/ip-up not working, HELP Please