Iomega JAZ mounting...

Post by Phil B. Flore » Sat, 16 May 1998 04:00:00

Hi!

Just wondering if any1 can show me the syntax to use to mount an Iomega
Jaz.

Using format, i already know which device it is.  I'm not familiar with
the syntax however.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!

   -*

Iomega JAZ mounting...

Post by Phil B. Flore » Sat, 16 May 1998 04:00:00

Hi!

Just wondering if any1 can show me the syntax to use to mount an Iomega
Jaz.

Using format, i already know which device it is.  I'm not familiar with
the syntax however.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!

   -*

Iomega JAZ mounting...

Post by Robert Sin » Mon, 18 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Just wondering if any1 can show me the syntax to use to mount an Iomega
> Jaz.

Below are snippets from pertinent files.  Partition the disk as slice
2, newfs it and you're set.

There appears to be a 'bug' in the automounter code in terms that if
the system boots up, or if vold (/etc/init.d/volmgt) is started and
there is not a (ufs) Jaz cartridge in the drive, any subsequent insertion
event will not trigger the automount mechanisim and therefore vold
will need to be restarted again to see that this device is a removable
device.  We use SCSI 2 for our Jaz drives, any unused number will
probably work.

To recap, you will always need to have a ufs'd Jaz cartridge in the
drive when booting up, or when restarting vold (volmgt).

The default is to mount the cartridge on /rmscsi/unlabeled and things
seem to work best when the drive is one whole partition (i.e. slice
2).  I've had problems attempting to use multiple partitions with the
automounter.  Otherwise, if you're hand-mounting the partitions or
perhaps as part of /etc/vfstab you should have no problem treating
this drive as any other SCSI disk.

The other default is to mount the drive and chown the root of the
mounted slice (s2) to 'nobody.nobody'.  I'm sure you can tune this, but
this isn't a problem as in our environment each person has their own
workstation..  Yada yada yada.  Beware, that it also chowns said root
directory to 'nobody.nobody', so it effectively removes any protection
on the root directory for subsequent mounts.  Again, in some
environments this may not be a big deal and can probably be worked
around.

[/etc/format.dat]

disk_type = "IOMEGA Jaz 1GB" \
         : ctlr = SCSI : ncyl = 2560 : acyl = 2 : pcyl = 2562 \
         : nhead = 4 : nsect = 204 : rpm = 3600

[/etc/vold.conf]

use rmscsi drive /dev/rdsk/c*s2 dev_rmscsi.so rmscsi%d

(this may be already in the stock config - I forget)

[/etc/rmmount.conf]

ident ufs ident_ufs.so cdrom floppy pcmem rmscsi

Note the 'rmscsi' at the end of the line.  This is essential.  I once
deleted that from one of my config files and spend a few hours trying
to figure out why the mounting was no longer working.  This is,
perhaps the most important.

Beyond that, we're running 2.6 SPARC on Ultras, I don't know how well
this will work for > 2.6.

Beware, the Iomega Jaz drive is not a good SCSI citizen.  It has
at least conflicted with a Sony SDT 9000 DDS3 DAT drive while on the
same chain.  Perhaps other devices as well.  You have been warned.

--

Robert Sink - Asst. Dept. Head - Computer/Network Services
Univ. of Maryland Chesapeake Biological Laboratory - Solomons, MD.