NFS: mounting nfs filesystem on boot time

NFS: mounting nfs filesystem on boot time

Post by Mario Pranji » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 18:57:16

Hi!

I would like to boot nfs fs on client machine during boot time.

In /etc/vfstab I should put:

wasp:/var/mail - /var/mail nfs - yes rw

Now, what will happen if nfs server is not present and client machine
is rebooted?
I wouldn't want for boot process to stop because it cannot mount nfs
fs.

Thanks!

Mario.

NFS: mounting nfs filesystem on boot time

Post by Mountain Ma » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 19:07:53

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 11:57:16 +0200, Mario Pranjic

>Hi!

>I would like to boot nfs fs on client machine during boot time.

>In /etc/vfstab I should put:

>wasp:/var/mail - /var/mail nfs - yes rw

>Now, what will happen if nfs server is not present and client machine
>is rebooted?
>I wouldn't want for boot process to stop because it cannot mount nfs
>fs.

>Thanks!

>Mario.

Read the appropriate manual pages.  There are mount flags for just
those kinds of situations you may consider using to avoid those types
of problems.

NFS: mounting nfs filesystem on boot time

Post by Mario Pranji » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 19:53:04

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 10:07:53 GMT, Mountain Man

>Read the appropriate manual pages.  There are mount flags for just
>those kinds of situations you may consider using to avoid those types
>of problems.

I will, thanks.

If I got it right, I need soft mount and to set retry number.

Mario.

Post by Toomas Soom » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 20:07:00

> Hi!

> I would like to boot nfs fs on client machine during boot time.

> In /etc/vfstab I should put:

> wasp:/var/mail - /var/mail nfs - yes rw

> Now, what will happen if nfs server is not present and client machine
> is rebooted?
> I wouldn't want for boot process to stop because it cannot mount nfs
> fs.

for /var/mail you should use also option  actimeo=0, to survive
non-available server, use option bg.

and better idea might be to use automounter instead, add following into
/etc/auto_master:
/-      auto_direct

and create /etc/auto_direct with:
/var/mail -rw,actimeo=0 wasp:/var/mail

now your client host can boot fine and /var/mail is mounted only if
accessed.

toomas
--
"What is the robbing of a bank compared to the FOUNDING of a bank?"
                -- Bertold Brecht

Post by John Thomas - Lucent ASCC Car » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 20:32:41

> On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 10:07:53 GMT, Mountain Man

>>Read the appropriate manual pages.  There are mount flags for just
>>those kinds of situations you may consider using to avoid those types
>>of problems.

> I will, thanks.

> If I got it right, I need soft mount and to set retry number.

> Mario.

I'd try putting the mount attempts in the background, too.  Less likely
to slow the boot process.
--

---
I never learned anything while I was talking. - Anonymous

Post by Toomas Soom » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 20:50:30

> On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 10:07:53 GMT, Mountain Man

>>Read the appropriate manual pages.  There are mount flags for just
>>those kinds of situations you may consider using to avoid those types
>>of problems.

> I will, thanks.

> If I got it right, I need soft mount and to set retry number.

no!

      Hard versus Soft
            File systems that are mounted read-write or that  con-
            tain  executable  files  should always be mounted with
            the hard option. Applications using soft mounted  file
            systems  may incur unexpected I/O errors, file corrup-
            tion, and unexpected  program  core  dumps.  The  soft
            option is not recommended.

toomas
--
If at first you fricasee, fry, fry again.

Post by Tony Walto » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 21:13:35

> On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 10:07:53 GMT, Mountain Man

>>Read the appropriate manual pages.  There are mount flags for just
>>those kinds of situations you may consider using to avoid those types
>>of problems.

> I will, thanks.

> If I got it right, I need soft mount and to set retry number.

No.  Soft mount is NOT what you need.  You need background mount.

--
Tony

1. NFS on 3.2.5, timeout error on nfs mounted filesystem

I'm restoring, from tape, to a nfs mounted filesystem. The filesystem
owner is a node on a SP2. Since this SP2 node, has no tape drive, and we
don't have that remove tape device stuff configured (or purchased) I
restore from another rs6k that has the filesystem from the SP2 node nfs
mounted.

One of the files being restored is about 1Gig in size. Things are kind
of ok. But about 200M into restoring that 1Gig file, I get a timeout
error, and restore quits.

Anyone have a clue as to what could be causing this? It isn't always at
the 200M mark. Sometimes I get 300M before it times out. I know for sure
there's no other activity on this part of the network.

So, my workaround is to restore to a local filesystem and use tar and
ftp. The ftp works *MUCH* faster between the nodes, than does nfs. But I
would like to get this nfs problem cured.

Thanks, Zoran.

2. 1 * vdnVMlOAY-Solaris 7 x86 boot failure with ATI Rage Magnum vid eo card

3. Mounting PC's filesystem as UNIX filesystem with NFS

4. SA_SIGINFO signal handling works?

5. mounting NFS filesystem on Mac OSX machine at boot ?

6. E450 Solaris8 -- harddisk problems

7. /var/mail: to NFS mount or not to NFS mount?

8. weird... can't put a cd \dir\dir\dir\ in a .csh file...

9. NFS mount won't mount at boot, but mount -a works fine.

10. nfs mount to a nfs mount fails

11. nfs mount problem: mount: can't get address for nfs-server.kauai

12. NFS mounting at boot time [3.1.5]

13. nfs mounted fs does not include mounted filesystems