How to find out the exact type/module for the SCSI card

How to find out the exact type/module for the SCSI card

Post by Jamb » Wed, 04 Aug 2004 12:04:59

I have a Sun Blade 100 with SCSI controller connected to a tape drive.
I need to buy another SCSI controller with exactly the same type/model
etc. The question is how to obtain the detail SCSI controller
information without opening the box.

I have tried sysdef, prtconf, dmesg, none of them give me the required
information. I have tried '/usr/platform/sun4u/sbin/prtdiag -v'. It
give me some useful information as below.

 0   pci    33            4  SUNW,isptwo-pci1077,1020 (scsi)
QLGC,ISP1040B

So I can see that the SCSI controller use 'QLGC,ISP1040B'. It still
can't provide detail information about the type/model for the SCSI
card and also information like Single Ended or Differential etc.

Can anyon tell me how to find out the exact manufacture type/module
for the SCSI controller inside the box? Thanks..

How to find out the exact type/module for the SCSI card

Post by Mik » Sat, 07 Aug 2004 12:25:49

My educated guess is that you have a SunSwift PCI card. Option X1032A
or 501-5656 or 501-2741. Single-ended Ultra/Wide SCSI/FastEthernet
(SunSwift PCI)

I first went to the available SCSI controllers for the Blade 100:
http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/SunBlade100/component.sc...

The diagrams of the SunSwift cards show a ISP1040 chip on this card.
Further research indicated that the isptwo driver always represents a
QLogic card/controller.

You could also do a show-devs from the ok prompt and see if you have a
network card and scsi card show up at the same PCI position. Here is
an example:

If physical inspection is possible; I would recommend viewing the
ports on the card and then going to the SunSolve link I pasted above
for quickest identification.

I hope this helps.

> I have a Sun Blade 100 with SCSI controller connected to a tape drive.
> I need to buy another SCSI controller with exactly the same type/model
> etc. The question is how to obtain the detail SCSI controller
> information without opening the box.

> I have tried sysdef, prtconf, dmesg, none of them give me the required
> information. I have tried '/usr/platform/sun4u/sbin/prtdiag -v'. It
> give me some useful information as below.

>  0   pci    33            4  SUNW,isptwo-pci1077,1020 (scsi)
> QLGC,ISP1040B

> So I can see that the SCSI controller use 'QLGC,ISP1040B'. It still
> can't provide detail information about the type/model for the SCSI
> card and also information like Single Ended or Differential etc.

> Can anyon tell me how to find out the exact manufacture type/module
> for the SCSI controller inside the box? Thanks..

1. Install finds SCSI card but can't find it to reboot

Hi all,

I'm trynig to install the slackware distribution on my system (1.2.13 I
think).  I have the dreaded AHA2940 SCSI controller.  The install
programs (boot and ramdisks) find my card and peripherals just fine.  When I
reboot after configuration, I get the good ol' SCSI:  no devices messages.
I've tried the newer install disks I picked up for the AHA2940 from the
infomagic site.  Still no luck.

I'm a real novice when it comes to LINUX and I'm stuck as to what to do next.
Any instructions on how to get this to work would be appreciated.

Lee Adkins

2. How to move sda1/home to /sdb1/home?

3. How to find out the speed of cpu, CD-ROM type and speed, disk type and capacity, cache type and capacity, video card type, etc.

4. shutdown of port/socket

5. GCC - Won't find types.h for /asm/types.h for ANYTHING

6. extending of keyboard code table

7. /usr/include/sys/types.h: linux/types.h not found

8. What are ports 465x?

9. How to find out application that send outs packets on certain port

10. how to find the type of Graphics card/accelerator on the E4000 box

11. Finding Graphics card type on sun machine

12. finding detailed descrip of exact Solaris boot up order

13. SCSI Time Outs? Please Help.