Suggestions on Storage Education and Training

Suggestions on Storage Education and Training

Post by Nicole Harv » Mon, 16 Feb 2004 14:36:36

I posted this to c.a.storage but didnt get any response. Thought some
one could give some good suggestions.

I am looking for some help on improving my SAN knowledge/exposure.
Though I work on Unix and Solaris I havent had lot of chance to work
on Stuff like EMC/Brocade/Netapp stuff. I have looked at the
individual website for education costs and they are above my budget.We
do not have a lot of storage other than some entry level/mid range
storage like A1000,D1000 (JBOD) from SUN. I am sure we are way behind
and I dont
see any chance of getting more exposure to storage stuff here at
work. Its not like learning Solaris where i did have the choice of
buying an Ultra 10 ( 2.5 yrs before ) and learn  on my own. I have
looked at sina.org till now any other suggestions /pointers to
websites which might help improve my SAN knowledge and exposure.

Thanks,
Nic.

Post by blackca » Mon, 16 Feb 2004 20:32:35

> I posted this to c.a.storage but didnt get any response. Thought some
> one could give some good suggestions.

> I am looking for some help on improving my SAN knowledge/exposure.
> Though I work on Unix and Solaris I havent had lot of chance to work
> on Stuff like EMC/Brocade/Netapp stuff. I have looked at the
> individual website for education costs and they are above my budget.We
> do not have a lot of storage other than some entry level/mid range
> storage like A1000,D1000 (JBOD) from SUN. I am sure we are way behind
> and I dont
> see any chance of getting more exposure to storage stuff here at
> work. Its not like learning Solaris where i did have the choice of
> buying an Ultra 10 ( 2.5 yrs before ) and learn  on my own. I have
> looked at sina.org till now any other suggestions /pointers to
> websites which might help improve my SAN knowledge and exposure.

> Thanks,
> Nic.

You can log on each of these companies websites. They all have very good
documents (usually called white papers in pdf). For example this one from
Sistina gives an overlook at (their) SAN/Shared Storage technologies :
http://www.sistina.com/downloads/whitepapers/DataSharing_WP106A.pdf
On the Sun website there is also a lot of interesting docs.

Apart from this, there are several books about SANs such as "Using Storage
Area Networks" published by NIIT, and certainly others that I don't have.

But in the end we must all accept that these things are not theoretical
concepts that can be easily learned in books.

Bertrand Z. (SCSA, SCNA)

1. March is Solaris Training and Education Month

March is "Solaris(TM) Operating Environment Training and
Education Month"!  If you are a developer, system
administrator, or IT professional, Sun Microsystems is
offering discounts throughout March on instructor-led
courses, online courses, and books relating to the
Solaris(TM) Operating Environment.

Special live chats and web forums with training experts can
help you expand your knowledge of Solaris software.  Take
advantage of these opportunities at:

http://soldc.sun.com/solaristraining

2. TST3200 model floppy tape drive

3. Solaris Training and Education Month Extended

4. HPUX TRACE UTILITY

5. Unix admin training/education

6. Diamond MPEG daughter card ?

7. U.K.- IT Security Training and Education (advice needed)

8. logitech mouse on ps2aux mouse port

9. Your suggestions for information security education?

10. Going to be training someone, suggestions for a non Unix person?

11. Suggestions for a cheap Microcontroller to train embedded linux development?

12. Getting started with Linux (Training suggestions???)

13. UNIX ADMIN TRAINING - ANY SUGGESTIONS