DVD RAMs or DVD RW are there any?

Post by Jason C. Hi » Thu, 24 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

Does anyone know if there are any DVD RAMs or DVD Writers for Sun
Solaris.  I know I can hook them up, b/c they're SCSI, but is there
any software out there that would allow me to write to them.

If anyone knows or has experience in this area, please let me know,
either by replying to this, or more preferably via email to

Many thanks,

        -Jason C. Hill
         CSC

DVD RAMs or DVD RW are there any?

Post by Kristoffer Wendeli » Wed, 30 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi Jason,

Tracer Technologies supports the Hitatchi, Toshiba, and Panasonic
DVD-RAM drives with drivers and file systems for Solaris. Check out the
web site http://www.tracertech.com for more information.

Best Regards,
KRistoffer Wendelin

Post by Cameron Simpso » Thu, 15 Jul 1999 04:00:00

| Does anyone know if there are any DVD RAMs or DVD Writers for Sun
| Solaris.  I know I can hook them up, b/c they're SCSI, but is there
| any software out there that would allow me to write to them.

If you want to write UDF, can't help. But I'm using a DVD-RAM as a
plain SCSI disc under Linux quite happily. Am running ext2 on it. There
is a kernel patch you need since the Creative Labs one doesn't present
itself as two LUNs, so you have to do some string recognition. Not sure
about Solaris.
--

B1FF is an archetype, and all you're showing us is one of the more amusing of

Ah, perhaps Arthur Clarke anticipated this in his celebrated short story,

1. DVD SCSI burner, I want DVD+RW, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM

I've googled until I'm blue (would that be bluegled?) and I can't
find a DVD burner that has all of what I want.  These seem to be
what people like for Linux:

Ricoh MP5125A DVD+RW/+R, DVD-R, CD-R/-RW (OBSOLETE)
http://www.computervideogear.com/dvd-burners/ricoh-mp5125a.htm

NEC ND1100A DVD+RW/+R, DVD-R, CD-R/-RW (replaces above Ricoh)
http://www.computervideogear.com/dvd-burners/nec-nd-1100a.htm

HP DVD300i (DVD+RW/+R, CD-R/-RW)
http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpdirect/shopping/scripts/product_...
(watch the line wrap)

Pioneer DVR-A05 CD-R/RW, CD-RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD-ROM
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?...

All of the above units are EIDE.  Is there a SCSI DVD burner that
works with Linux?  My reason for wanting this is the wonderful
burning throughput I get with my SCSI CD burner.  I *NEVER* have
buffer underruns no matter how much else my system is doing.
I can even backup to my SCSI tape at the same time without
problems.  I'm nervous that an IDE burner will force me into
buffer underrun land.

Thanks....

2. Delay in loading of kernel modules

3. Panasonic SW-9571 DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM on Sun?

4. Machine locks during logout in RedHat 7.3

5. Solaris, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RAM and UDF

6. pap-secrets simple question

7. DVD/cd-rw fails to play DVD movies

8. CPU Speed ?

9. Cdrecord-ProDVD now supports DVD+RW & DVD+R

10. DVD drives in laptops and DVD+-RW's

11. Problems burning dvd-r and dvd-rw

12. Trouble changing the DVD-booktype width dvd+rw-booktype

13. hitachi dvd camcorder and panasonic mini dvd-ram disk