Recommended patch cluster - patch not applied

Recommended patch cluster - patch not applied

Post by TA » Thu, 11 Aug 2005 07:03:46

Hi,

How is it possible to find out which individual patches have not been
applied and the reason(s) during a recommended patch cluster on Solaris 9 ?

Thanks in advance

Post by Martin Pau » Thu, 11 Aug 2005 18:59:14

> How is it possible to find out which individual patches have not been
> applied and the reason(s) during a recommended patch cluster on Solaris 9 ?

If you didn't capture the output from the original installation run,
the information is probably lost, as only successfully installed
patches leave /var/sadm/patch/<patchid>/log.

You could re-run the cluster installation - it should do no harm,
as patches which were installed in the first run will not be
installed again, and all others will fail again.

For the future, always pipe output of commands that run a long time
or produce a lot of output into "tee install.log" for later inspection.

mp.
--
Systems Administrator | Institute of Scientific Computing | Univ. of Vienna

Post by Oscar del Ri » Thu, 11 Aug 2005 20:25:58

>>How is it possible to find out which individual patches have not been
>>applied and the reason(s) during a recommended patch cluster on Solaris 9 ?

> If you didn't capture the output from the original installation run,
> the information is probably lost, as only successfully installed
> patches leave /var/sadm/patch/<patchid>/log.

The installation log is in /var/sadm/install_data/Solaris_9_Recommended_log

Post by TA » Thu, 11 Aug 2005 23:49:40

>>>How is it possible to find out which individual patches have not been
>>>applied and the reason(s) during a recommended patch cluster on Solaris 9
>>>?

>> If you didn't capture the output from the original installation run,
>> the information is probably lost, as only successfully installed
>> patches leave /var/sadm/patch/<patchid>/log.

> The installation log is in
> /var/sadm/install_data/Solaris_9_Recommended_log

The problem is that only the patches who have been applied are in this file.

I think I will try the solution that Paul gave me in another way.

I will make a diff between /var/sadm/install_data/Solaris_9_Recommended_log
and the patches that are listed in the Recommended Patch Cluster Readme file
to find out a short list of patches that have not been applied. Then I will
look each patch and try to apply it another time if I need it.

Thank you for your help.
TA

Post by Laurent Blum » Sat, 13 Aug 2005 03:45:18

>>/var/sadm/install_data/Solaris_9_Recommended_log

> The problem is that only the patches who have been applied are in this file.

You missed some information there.
When a patch is not applied, it's logged there, and the reason why:

One or more patch packages included in
115880-01 are not installed on this system.

Patchadd is terminating.

Patch 114354-06 has already been applied.
See patchadd(1M) for instructions.

Patchadd is terminating.

HTH,

Laurent