Solaris 8 x86: how to set up a user account

Solaris 8 x86: how to set up a user account

Post by Andy Zh » Fri, 17 May 2002 06:10:07

Wonder how to set up a user account like: /home/userAccount. I entered as
root. but can't set up using admin tool. The error is that the home dir
can't be set up a subdirectory such as userAccount.

How can I do this?

Thank you

Post by tom hamilto » Fri, 17 May 2002 07:01:36

> Wonder how to set up a user account like: /home/userAccount. I entered as
> root. but can't set up using admin tool. The error is that the home dir
> can't be set up a subdirectory such as userAccount.

> How can I do this?

> Thank you

home directories go in /export/home/<username>
/home is controlled by the automounter.  Do a groups.google.com search and
there will be hundreds of hits to explain the ins and outs of this

1. good accounting set-ups...

Netters-
        I've been trying to get our system to keep a good record of system
use.  Quota's work well for restricting disk usage, but that's it.  The
ac command is NOT accurate enough.  (It says that one user was logged in for
over 11 hrs, when he was in for 4.5 according to last, and the actuall user.)
I realise that ac is limited... Our normal accounting setup is a pain to get
working correctly.  What I would like is raw logged in time.  Do I have to
write it myself?  (Using wtmp?)  Has it already been made?
        While I'm at it, what other packages are freely available in source
format?  We have an esv, (bsd & sysv mix).  Also, our xdm doesn't log properly,
(we're using X11R5, and can't upgrade currently for many reasons.)  anyone get
that to work?  (I've heard that some niche unix boxes have troubles, and would
like to hear from those who have fixed it.)
--
                Virtually,
                Edward Wolpert

---------------------------

---------------------------
I'm  sorry, but Godot isn't here today. Perhaps if you came back tomorrow...

2. telnet

3. Use WinNT User Accounts on Linux -- Centralize User Accounts

4. Running time message: Not enough memory and Killed

5. Solaris x86 -- setting MANPATH for all users

6. X lib cannot be accessed after updating libc

7. porting update: UPS debugger on Solaris/x86.

8. Minimum hardware for Linux box ?

9. Solaris x86 2.6 + UPS problems

10. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

11. setting up WWW page from an user's account

12. Setting up "funky" user account

13. setting defaults for new user accounts