Help installing x86

Post by Arthur M. Kan » Wed, 09 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I'm trying to install Solaris x86 and am getting stuck at step #1.  I
loaded up the floppy disk that comes with the x86 edition, and after it
scans some system settings, only gives me the option to boot back up my
hard drive.  I want to boot from the CDROM so that I can do an install.
Any suggestions?

Arthur

Help installing x86

Post by Larry Culve » Wed, 09 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> I'm trying to install Solaris x86 and am getting stuck at step #1.  I
> loaded up the floppy disk that comes with the x86 edition, and after it
> scans some system settings, only gives me the option to boot back up my
> hard drive.  I want to boot from the CDROM so that I can do an install.
> Any suggestions?

> Arthur

You probably don't have a disk (CD) controller(PCI or IDE) that's compatible with x86.

Have you checked the Hardware Compatibility List(HCL) at access1 ?  I had a similar problem in
that my CD-ROM controller card was not recognized(supported) and ended up buying a new controller
and CD-ROM drive.

Hope this helps!

Help installing x86

Post by Bruce Adler [Contracto » Thu, 10 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm trying to install Solaris x86 and am getting stuck at step #1.  I
>loaded up the floppy disk that comes with the x86 edition, and after it
>scans some system settings, only gives me the option to boot back up my
>hard drive.  I want to boot from the CDROM so that I can do an install.
>Any suggestions?

Only CDROM drives that conform to either the ATAPI/IDE spec or the
SCSI-2 spec are supported. The ones we've tested and certified are
listed in the latest copy of the HCL but any compliant drive should
also work correctly.  What Solaris release are you trying to install?
Are you using the boot floppies from the latest DU release or the
original FCS floppies? If you're using the latest DU release, then what
model CDROM are you tyring to use?

BA

Help installing x86

Post by gis81.. » Sat, 12 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I'm trying to install Solaris x86 with the latest DU4 release, and
getting stuck after loading kenrel from CDROM and floppy disk. I
just got one rotating symbol and the system seems to wait forever.
My equipments are ALTOS server and AHA-1542CF SCSI card, PCNet PCI
network card. I think the AHA-1542CF conflicts with other devices.
The oririnal onboard SCSI works just fine. Does anyone know how to
solve this problem?

--
Kennneth Chao

Help installing x86

Post by Matt Newma » Mon, 14 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> I'm trying to install Solaris x86 and am getting stuck at step #1.  I
> loaded up the floppy disk that comes with the x86 edition, and after it
> scans some system settings, only gives me the option to boot back up my
> hard drive.  I want to boot from the CDROM so that I can do an install.
> Any suggestions?

> Arthur

It all depends if you are trying to partition the Hard Drive so you can
what ever operating sys. and x86. E-mail me with futher q's

http://www.acecomp.com

Help installing x86

Post by Kenneth Ch » Fri, 18 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I'm trying to install Solaris x86 with the latest DU4 release, and
getting stuck after loading data from floppy disk and CDROM.
I got a rotating symbol and the system seems to wait for something
to happen. I think this should be the AHA-1542CF problem. The original
onboard SCSI card works just fine. And the install program show that
it found AHA-1540, not 1542. Does anyone know how to solve this
problem?

-- Kenneth Chao
Acer Internet Services Inc.

1. HELP: Installing x86 onto an AST Ascentia Laptop

I am going to need to install x86 onto a AST Ascentia 910N laptop.  I
don't have a cd-rom for it yet.  I don't want to buy an external cd-rom
drive and it not work for installing x86.  I do have the list of
supported cd-roms, but I installed x86 on a Dell and a 'supported' cd-rom
wasn't seen for it.  I heard that either you have all SCSI, or all IDE
drives or they're not compatible under x86.  None of the hardware stores
in the area are willing to let me come in and try to install x86 to see
if the cd-rom I purchase will work.
Has anyone done this, or knows of a compatible external cd-rom drive, or
knows another way to install x86 onto a laptop?

Thanks,
Steve.

2. telnet Windows95: thrashes utmp on exit and now can telnet no more...

3. Help installing X86...

4. Installing Redhat 5.2 on a Win98 Machine

5. Help, install x86 on laptop

6. freesco question about ethernet cards

7. Installing x86 Solaris (was: Installing x86 dual-boot with WinXP)

8. Linux 2 Solaris translation question?

9. Need help installing Solaris 9 x86 on MS Virtual PC

10. Help installing & starting Face in Solaris x86 2.5 ?

11. HELP: How to install SOlaris 2.6 x86

12. Please help, VTOC error installing Solaris 7 x86

13. x86 install woes - please help!