Unix Programs--Displaying User Help-- is there a Standards?

Unix Programs--Displaying User Help-- is there a Standards?

Post by Chris P. Randl » Fri, 04 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Is there a standard message that should be displayed to users when
a programs "help" option is deployed:

        example taken from the "rm" command:

        rm --help
        Usage: rm [OPTION]... FILE...
        Remove (unlink) the FILE(s).

  -d, --directory       unlink directory, even if non-empty (super-user
only)
  -f, --force           ignore nonexistent files, never prompt
  -i, --interactive     prompt before any removal
  -v, --verbose         explain what is being done
  -r, -R, --recursive   remove the contents of directories recursively
      --help            display this help and exit
      --version         output version information and exit

It seems I always see these elements:

1) Usage:
4) Real Example:

Thanks Ladies and Gentlemen,
Chris

1. Unix Programs: User Help, is there a Standard Message?

Is there a standard message that should be displayed to users when
a programs "help" option is deployed:

        example taken from the "rm" command:

        rm --help
        Usage: rm [OPTION]... FILE...
        Remove (unlink) the FILE(s).

  -d, --directory       unlink directory, even if non-empty (super-user
only)
  -f, --force           ignore nonexistent files, never prompt
  -i, --interactive     prompt before any removal
  -v, --verbose         explain what is being done
  -r, -R, --recursive   remove the contents of directories recursively
      --help            display this help and exit
      --version         output version information and exit

It seems I always see these elements:

1) Usage:
4) Real Example:

Thanks Ladies and Gentlemen,
Chris

2. S3 968 Spea Mercury P-64 V: screen is wrapped

3. I am new to Unix and Unix Programming HELP!

4. restarting a stopped process?

5. Need good books on Advanced UNIX programming, Standard Unix C APIs

6. gcc, linux and ELF

7. I am new to UNIX/C programming: HELP!

8. SP2 under AIX 4.3

9. PC Program to display a Unix Program

10. NEED HELP WITH PROGRAMMING POP3 MAIL PROGRAM TO RETRIEVE MAIL ON UNIX-TO-UNIX

11. Is there a unix command to display unix user account expiry, inactive expiry

12. FAQ Requested: Help I am Being Scanned on Non-Standard Ports

13. Help needed on UNIX C user interface programming