Name Resolver in Solaris

Post by Robert Be » Mon, 13 Dec 1993 13:01:39

We're currently using SunOS 4.1.2 with Resolv+ installed, allowing us to do
direct name look-ups to a DNS server (we don't use NIS), and we've also
patched the dynamic linked libraries so that telnet and ftp also work
through DNS.  In the next few weeks we're going to be installing Solaris 2.2
and I'd like to know if it's possible to configure it to use DNS directly
(again we don't use NIS, nor are we planning to), like resolv+ does for SunOS
4.X?  The resolv+ documentation doesn't make any mention of Solaris 2.X, only
SunOS 4.X.  Am I to assume that DNS look-ups are part of Solaris 2.X?

Thanks for any help!

Name Resolver in Solaris

Post by ctch.. » Tue, 14 Dec 1993 16:32:39

: In the next few weeks we're going to be installing Solaris 2.2
: and I'd like to know if it's possible to configure it to use DNS directly
: (again we don't use NIS, nor are we planning to), like resolv+ does for SunOS
: 4.X?  The resolv+ documentation doesn't make any mention of Solaris 2.X, only
: SunOS 4.X.  Am I to assume that DNS look-ups are part of Solaris 2.X?

In Solaris 2.x, it uses /etc/nsswitch.conf to configure the lookup
behavior. The default setting for the hostname lookup is

        hosts:  files

that means lookup /etc/hosts only. Modify it to

        hosts:  files dns

then it will lookup DNS, too.

Name Resolver in Solaris

Post by Keith Christoph » Wed, 15 Dec 1993 00:49:19

>: In the next few weeks we're going to be installing Solaris 2.2
>: and I'd like to know if it's possible to configure it to use DNS directly
>: (again we don't use NIS, nor are we planning to), like resolv+ does for SunOS
>: 4.X?  The resolv+ documentation doesn't make any mention of Solaris 2.X, only
>: SunOS 4.X.  Am I to assume that DNS look-ups are part of Solaris 2.X?

>In Solaris 2.x, it uses /etc/nsswitch.conf to configure the lookup
>behavior. The default setting for the hostname lookup is

>    hosts:  files

>that means lookup /etc/hosts only. Modify it to

>    hosts:  files dns

>then it will lookup DNS, too.

Make sure you have your DNS assigned in your /etc/resolv.conf

Keith